Thursday, August 29, 2024

The Thursday Ramble: Catalpas Trees


 On the farm I grew up on, my grandparents lived around the corner, so almost a quarter of a mile away, in the original farm house.  When they purchased the farm, the house was rather rustic.  They had new wiring installed, a new well and plumbing. Enclosed part of the front porch to add an indoor bathroom.  Stripped and varnished the 100 year old oak trim and most of the interior doors. Installed new oak hardwood floors.  Had central heating installed.  In short they made a 1950's home inside the shell of a farmhouse from the 1850s. 

The house set back 200-250 feet from the road.  The driveway was gravel, with two tire tracks and grass growing up between the two.  

On the east side of the driveway was my grandfathers vegetable garden, a couple of acres of strawberries, corn, tomato's, green and yellow beans, green peppers, carrots, beets, rhubarb and anything else they wanted to grow. He would spend hours in the summer sun tilling and weeding.  My grandmother would pressure can the harvest. 

Along the west side of the driveway was a line of Catalpas Trees, that then turned along the road side and continued almost all the way to the corner.  The trees had been planted probably probably at the turn of the century - 1900 that is, by the previous owners.  The trees were massive and nearing the end of their lifespan. 

Catalpas trees have huge heart shaped leaves, 10-12 inches in length. The leaves are smooth and shiny on one side, and rough textures like a cats tongue on the back side. And through the summer and into the fall the trees produce seed pods that are about as big around as a pencil, and 10-20 inches long.   

Whenever I see a catalpa tree, it takes me back to that long driveway and those massive trees.   


21 comments:

  1. Even though you needed to leave Michigan, fragments of it are tattooed upon your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember seeing those trees and not knowing they were catalpas. Beautiful! A 2-acre vegetable garden is huge! You could still be living off the canning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Found you in Spam, along with a few others.

      Delete
  3. My grandparents lived on a farm in Illinois with a long gravel driveway. As a child that sound of tires on the gravel reminded me of popcorn popping. It was the first sound of the beginning of our visit and the last sound from the farm as we departed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You reminded me of that sound.

      Delete
  4. Aren't those the trees that smell like rotting meat in the Fall?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are Ginko trees, nasty things.

      Delete
    2. Ew! I used to have to pass under a stand of gingko trees when I walked to work in Georgetown. I’d hold my breath while a local Korean family collected the unrotten berries from the ground!

      Delete
  5. Those trees look like they'd be very invasive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They didn't seem to reproduce.

      Delete
  6. Quite literally a trip down "memory lane!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have such sweet memories from your life on the farm!
    I love those large heart-shaped leaves but those long green beans always look odd to me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were a strange looking seed pod.

      Delete
  8. I wonder if a comment from me went to Spam or if it somehow didn’t get across. I know of catalpa trees and have seen them but I could never have identified one. Also, 2 acres is one HUGE vegetable garden.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Growing up in Illinois, I saw these trees but never knew what they were called. I can see why seeing these would trigger your memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandmother would find the correct name for everything,

      Delete
  10. Fascinating. You grandparents were a resourceful team, it seems.

    ReplyDelete