Friday, August 30, 2024

100 Ways to Slightly Improve Your Travel Experience: #21 things to take with you



There is nothing more frustrating than finding a lose thread, not having anything to cut it with, pulling on it and making it worse, or trying to open packaging and not having anything to cut it with.  I carry a tiny pair of scissors with me when I travel.  About 20 years ago I saw these in a shop at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London, and thought those are cute, I could have used those yesterday, and if I buy those and add them to my travel shaving kit, every time
I see them or use them, I will be reminded of this wonderful adventure.  

I carry a corkscrew/bottle opener with me.   I was in San Francisco a few years ago, and my corkscrew broke off.  The next afternoon I was in the Ferry Terminal Market, and went into a really nice kitchen supply shop on the water side and bought this one.  Every time I use it, it reminds me of a delightful time in San Francisco.

I love exploring markets when I travel, and sometimes at the end of a long day of board (bored) meetings all I really want to do is grab a nice salad and go back to the hotel room.  The challenge is cutting cheese with a plastic knife, or eating a salad with a flimsy plastic fork, or even worse a bamboo fork.  So in my travel kit is a french folding knife,  these are a little expensive but durable, and a knife, fork and spoon made from titanium.  The knife, fork, and spoon weigh next to nothing and are virtually indestructible (you can buy all of these on Amazon.) These things wash easily. 

These items are not suitable for carry on for the airlines.  I almost always check a bag and these go in kit of full size toiletries in my checked bag. In my carry on kit, I have a small pair of nail clippers, a surprisingly versatile tool and small enough to clear security at the airport.       



19 comments:

  1. Even in your hold bag, I am surprised that you have (so far) got away with carrying these lethal weapons. There appears to be some dried blood on the handles of that menacing pair of scissors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I travel, I always carry both a little pair of scissors for tiny snips and a full size pair of scissors for bigger jobs. Necessities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrying what works for you, really helps.

      Delete
  3. I, too, wondered if that was blood on the scissors!
    I have never thought of carrying scissors or silverware when I travel, but I ALWAYS have a wine opener handy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the handles on the scissors are enameled.

      Delete
    2. ...with a hotel receptionist's blood.

      Delete
  4. I love that your travel gadgets have their own stories. Such fond memories. I have a little pair of scissors similar to those that were my grandma's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Objects often connect to memories for me.

      Delete
  5. This is a great selection of travel items. I love those little scissors. In my cosmetic bag, I have this tiny little thing called an Olfa Touch-Knife. It's a very small little plastic item with a slide out blade that is about a half-inch long. It goes through security with no problems at all. It's saved me many times with taking off store tags or cutting threads or even opening a really difficult bag of some kind of snack item. I've had it for so long, I can't remember where I got it. However, now that you mention it, it wouldn't be much good for things like cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should look for something tiny for my carry on bag.

      Delete
  6. I usually don't check a bag so no sharp things for me. You can tell from all of your helpful hints that you are an experienced traveler!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been around, and I almost always check a bag.

      Delete
  7. I've lost so many small metal clippers, nail files etc post 9/11. For a few days away I don't need or want to take checked luggage, and these things are simply not allowed in hand luggage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get free checked bags on my two primary airlines.

      Delete
  8. This might sound strange I usually have a tape measure, a small one. In my purse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could come in handy for an artist.

      Delete