Saturday, August 24, 2024

The Saturday Morning Post: Layers and Focus


Many years ago, I bought a book titled "Creative Color Photography" by Robin Perry. (I just Googled it, and it is still trading as a used book.) He was a creative genius of his time, a self-promoter, and offered workshops and mentoring. I was jealous of the Jaguar that he drove. 

A little internet searching reveals that he published several books, over 200 articles, traveled the world to lecture, was married six times, and died in 2005 in Florida.   

One if his techniques was to layer images. Working with film this was done by double exposures, or his preferred way was to shoot multiple images carefully planned to be stacked on top of one another in the printing process.  The results were creative, often other worldly. Today this work would be done by stacking multiple digital images in software, controlling the density of each layer.   

For some reason the image above reminded me of this method, and reminded me of a book I read nearly 50 years ago, and possessed for decades.  When we sold the other house, I parted with all or nearly all of my photography books. Including this one.  

This image was shot into the dirty windows and a multiplex theater that closed in 2020, and has not reopened. You can see the blurry interior, a neon sign still glowing, my reflection in the window, and behind that the reflection of a hotel across the parking lot. 

It is an image of empty commercial property that was built in an era of over building, whose day has not returned, may not return, but the owners have not given up hope, keeping the lights on waiting for the people to return.  

18 comments:

  1. The things you see ... I doubt many people would spot that and then want to photograph it, but you did and it's really quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while.

      Delete
  2. I do love your photo! It’s amazing how the process has changed. I remember thinking my old-time accidental double exposures were incredibly cool, but I never learned how to create them on purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never have learned to work in photoshop

      Delete
    2. But you know a lot more about photography than I do. I tend to prefer point and shoot.

      Delete
  3. There are many interesting things we can do with cameras apart from recording what we see in front of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is rather a lot to be seen in one blurry photo. Married six times? I would give up at three.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Either a romantic, or a philanderer.

      Delete
  5. Yes, a very intriguing shot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The more you look at that photo, the more you see. I like your wisps of hair that look golden in the window...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many years ago when I was shooting film, I remember experimenting with double exposures. I think only one of my attempt produced something I liked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a really hard thing to do.

      Delete
  8. Your beard looks good, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and it is easier than shaving.

      Delete
  9. I too love this photo !

    ReplyDelete