Friday, August 16, 2024

100 Ways to Slightly Improve Your Travel Experience: #19 Explore Public Transit Before You Leave Home


 Especially when traveling to large cities, public transit is often the best way to get around town.  In many cities, airports and train stations are connected to local public transit.  Search for the airport or station and look for the page on how to get to and from the station or airport.  

Even cities that have a limited transit network often have a train from the airport to downtown. Three surprises in the United States, Atlanta has a good train from the airport to downtown, St. Louis has a light rail connection from the airport to downtown, and Minneapolis St Paul has a light rail connection from the airport to downtown. I have used all three of these.  

I prefer trains or subway systems to buses.  Especially when I am toting luggage.  

If a rail connection is available, it will always be cheaper than a taxi, and often be faster.  

When searching before you go, you want to look at the network, where does it go to and from, the schedule, and the pricing.  Some cities offer tourist passes that include much of the system. The pass in San Francisco even includes the cable cars.  Increasingly tickets are available on a smart phone app, and can be purchased before you leave home.  Some of the apps include real time status on the trains and buses to help you know when the next ride is headed your way.  

15 comments:

  1. Good advice David. How to actually pay can often be an issue in foreign lands and that is also worth some preliminary research.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have my London Oyster Card, if it still works, it did in 2020 and I had not been there for probably 6 years.

      Delete
    2. In Chicago and some other cities, all you need is to tap a credit card at the gate. Very convenient!

      Delete
  2. It does make it easier and quicker to get out and away from the airports!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All major city airports should have a direct train or subway connection.

      Delete
  3. I remember riding a bullet train (I think that is what it was called) when we were in China. My daughter-in-law made all of the travel arrangements and I just had to follow her lead! She did a great job of getting us around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard about the one in China, very fast.

      Delete
  4. When I traveled for work, I did this all the time. My 2 years in St. Louis I used that one and my 2 years in Chicago I used that one every time I went to and from the airport. In London I do the same. Portland has a system I've used and so does Seattle. Even LA is catching up.
    I wish I could have seen the Moscow underground. It's supposedly the most beautiful anywhere. I'd never go there now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have used Portland and Seattle.

      Delete
  5. I also prefer trains and subways to buses when I travel, but I need to get better with local buses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are lots of buses here, and I never ride them,

      Delete
  6. My daughter and I are going to NYC in December, arriving the same day as the Rockefeller Center tree lighting. Traffic will be over-the-top crazy. We are taking the bus from LGA to the train station which will take us into Grand Central. Much easier with that MTA pass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy the holidays in NYC. The tree was still up when we visited last January.

      Delete
  7. I very much appreciate a subway system in a city; when I am visiting one I nearly always use them.

    ReplyDelete