Saturday, August 17, 2024

The Saturday Morning Post: Do You Have The Time?


Over the years, I have read several books about time, I recently read one about clocks and timekeeping.  For most of us, measured time rules our lives.  We allow measured time to regulate what we do in each day. 

There is natural time, the earth rotates causing the sun to rise and set, night to darken and morning to lighten.  The earth's trip around the sun takes about 365 sunrises. Before man measured time into hours, months, and years, this was how the passage of time was marked.  The sun rose and set, darkness fell and dawn broke through.  The seasons passed with warmth, and cold, rain and dry. 

Then there is measured time.  A construct of the human mind. Breaking each cycle down into measured parts. Someone decided on 24 hours in a day, and 60 minutes in an hour, why not 10 hours in a day, and 100 minutes in an hour? The number of sunrises and sunsets in a trip around the sun, is set by nature. Why 360 degrees in the compass and not 365? 

We then allow measured time to regulate our behavior.  Setting sleep time, awakening time, work time, by an artificial standard, that for many has little to do with anything other than the clock.  We clock in, or have set work hours, that don't necessarily correlate the nature of the work that we are there to do. 

Farmers have a strong sense of the clock not being in sync with the cadence of life. Fields are worked during daylight hours, cows want milking based on cow biology, that is more tied to sunrise and sunset than to the hours on a clock they most likely don't bother to read. Modern dairy farms allow the cows to come in for milking when the cow wants to come in for milking, and only alerts the farmer if there is a significant change indicating that the cow might be feeling unwell. A farmers time of work and rest, changes with the seasons, not with the clock. 

Why don't we let life regulate our time, and not the clock. 



20 comments:

  1. I was going to say something clever, but decided it wasn’t.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Comments are always welcome. If you have the time,

      Delete
  2. I wish that I had written this blogpost. Tasty food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for a great compliment.

      Delete
  3. If I let life regulate my time my workday would be about 7 minutes and I think people might not like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are talented enough to get the job done in 7 minutes,

      Delete
  4. And don't forget how lawyers bill for their time in small increments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lawyer friend of mine was involved in creating partnerships to own race horses. One particularly complex negotiation involved hundreds of short phone calls, each billed for a 10 minute interval. At the end of the day, he had billed 26 hours in a single day.

      Delete
  5. Now that I am retired, time is less important some days, altho, I still stick to my usual breakfast, lunch and dinner times and bed times as a creature of habit. One of my sons works 3rd shift and it is always difficult to include him in events as his schedule is so different from everyone else's.
    Time can make travel more difficult with all of the different time zones to adjust to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I allow at least one day, for every hour change in time zones.

      Delete
  6. As I was walking down the street one day
    A man came up to me and asked me
    What the time was that was on my watch
    Yeah, and I said
    Does anybody really know what time it is?
    Does anybody really care?

    And sung by Chicago :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that song, I have that album on CD someplace.

      Delete
  7. Well, that's a lot to think about on a Saturday morning. However, I love your photo. I just bought tickets to go to Chicago for a few days. I'll have to find where you stood when you took that photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Along Wacker, I think near an Irish Pub.

      Delete
  8. I believe time was invented to help keep the working class in order. In retirement, I live as I like taking my main meal sometime between 4 and 6 p.m. Only snacking the rest of the time. Sometimes I go to sleep at 7:30, other times it can be as late as midnight. I love retirement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I drift off to sleep at random times, fortunately not when I am driving.

      Delete
  9. The Tyranny of the Clock is a relatively recent phenomenon attributed to the Industrial Age. As you note, agricultural societies are attuned to the biological cycle. Every year during Holy Week I'm jarred to hear references to clock times in the Passion readings - obviously a translation issue. I'm also always surprised how my body re-regulates to a natural cycle on a camping trip.

    Will Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prayer times and navigation were drivers of clock development.

      Delete
  10. I was recently reminded we spend nearly 35-40% 'in the future' and some more dwelling in the past. We are seldom in the present, and thus miss out on life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What am I going to do next? And Why did I say that?

      Delete