Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Travel Tuesday: Dublin to Holyhead March 2020 38

These are a blast from the past, early March 2020, we went to Ireland for two weeks.  Early in the trip we took the Stena Line ferry from Dublin to Holyhead in Wales.  We visited John in Wales, then went onto London to have dinner with Duncan and Stephen. Then the ferry back to Ireland to continue the trip.  By the time we got to London, Covid was starting to become a worry in cities. Little did we know that little more than a week later we would be on the last Delta Airlines flight from Dublin to the states, before the USA closed the border. 

It was a great ride, as I recall less than two hours each way. I booked the Hygge Lounge with extra comfy seats and WiFi. 

























 

14 comments:

  1. I remember you writing at the time about the close Covid call, but I can't remember these grand photos. We returned from our island state Tasmania with our car on a ferry, around the same time, worried that we would not get home before the ferry ceased to take passengers, and worse we did not fill our car with toilet paper to sell on the black market. Well, groceries for ourselves actually, as the supermarket shelves in Melbourne were almost empty when we arrived home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have started posting more photos, for a long time it was one a day, or maybe two photos a day. It was an interesting time.

      Delete
  2. If not for some of your pictures, it almost doesn't look like it caters to passengers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the passengers drive their car on, also a lot of trucks crossing. As I recall there were less then 10 foot passengers.

      Delete
  3. My niece was working for a few weeks at her company's German office in March 2020. It was a monumental and expensive effort to get her back to the States before flights shut down. She made it with little time to spare. What a crazy time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had started checking on a renting an apartment in Dublin for a month or two if needed.

      Delete
  4. A quick crossing in comfort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be glad to do it again.

      Delete
  5. I didn't know about a ferry between London and Ireland. That's good know. I'm reminded to the ferries across Lake Como. Not as much water to cross but the same idea carrying both cars and passengers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dublin to Wales, then the train to London.

      Delete
  6. A lovely time, and I dare say I was looking marvelous that day...

    ReplyDelete