Friday, November 17, 2023

Funky or Fabulous Friday, Kaiser Darrin 49




Only built in 1954, only 435 and half a dozen prototypes were ever assembled, the Kaiser Darrin was an answer to the MG, and Jaguar's that came into the market after WWII.  It has a fiberglass body, and the cars party trick, the doors slide forward into the body work (fenders or wings if you can't tell an automobile from and airplane.)  

I had seen photos of them.  I had seen one or two on television.  When I was growing up on the farm, there were rumors of one tucked away in a nearby barn,  that everyone wanted to buy, and the farmer didn't want to sell.  

In Indiana last month, I saw one on the wheels for the first time. It is small, the front is kind of dated, the sliding doors are the thing that make me want to say, YES.  

There a few listed for sale in the USA, a basket case out of a barn for $40,000 that probably needs $100,000 in work to make it drivable, half a dozen between $100,000 and $160,000 - you can drive a Ferrari for that kind of money, but the doors won't slide forward into the fenders.  

15 comments:

  1. I like it, although not as sleek and compact of a MG, jag or my first love a Citroen. It's cute but looks a bit clunky to me. I like the sliding door concept thing though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The doors probably wouldn't meet safety standards today.

      Delete
  2. It's a very nice and stylish looking motor car and I don't know the brand at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From Wikipedia: In 1953, Kaiser bought the Willys-Overland company for US$63,381,175 and merged the Kaiser and Willys operations under the name Kaiser-Willys Corporation. The decision was then made to exit the passenger car market, which was accomplished at the end of the 1955 model year.

      By 1956, Willys Motors built only utility vehicles, many for export, and was turning a healthy profit as a company 100% owned by Kaiser Industries Corporation. This operation (which included stakes in Willys-Overland du Brasil and Industrias Kaiser Argentina) became Kaiser Jeep Corporation in 1963 and remained 100% owned by Kaiser Industries. During the period 1969-1970 Kaiser-Jeep Corporation was sold to American Motors Corporation through purchase of certain assets and assumption of certain liabilities by AMC. In 1985 American Motors was sold to the Chrysler Corporation in a lock-stock-barrel (acquiring all assets and assuming all liabilities of American Motors) transaction.

      Delete
  3. Being a tall human, I am no fan of wee cars, but this one is lovely, and i could contort myself into it for a while.
    The sliding doors do it for me, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would need to put the top down to get in and out.

      Delete
    2. I have a friend who once owned a Mazda Miata and me getting into that thing took a look of effort and contortion; and the top was always down lest my head poke through!

      Delete
  4. Interesting that, with the tiny grille, the mostly sheet metal front end looks like an electric car these days,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No flashy chrome from the 1950's

      Delete
  5. Well, that car shares the prize for most unique doors along with the DeLorean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BMW built one with doors that opened down into the floor, kind of folding origami, it didn't work well and was a very short production run.

      Delete
  6. That is a great looking car and I love those doors. Given what classic cars go for these days, that price doesn't seem too bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is unique and would stand out. But I would be afraid to drive it.

      Delete
  7. Looks like it would be fun to drive but I find car prices like that obscene.

    ReplyDelete