Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Travel Tuesday: Auburn, Indiana 52

There is only one good reason to go to Auburn, Indiana, Cars. More Specifically the Auburn, Cord, Duesenberg Museum. Located about 20 miles north of Fort Wayne, Indiana, there is not much to the town, but at one time it was the epicenter of American luxury and performance automobiles. The Museum is located in the building that was built as the engineering, home offices, and factory showroom for the company. The collection is modest in size, probably 120 cars, and a couple of airplanes (E. L. Cord was an early aviation enthusiast and invested heavily in airplane manufacturing.) One thing that stuck me was now intimate the displays are, you can get up close and personal with the cars.  









This one has an interesting story. It was bought by a local farmer for his daughter to drive on the condition that she stop seeing a young many her father didn't approve of.  A few months later daddy found out she was still seeing the young man and took the car away, stored it away where it sat for 60 years, until daddy died. She donated it to the museum with less than 10,000 miles, original paint and interior. 

Huge, but I think one of the most dramatic designs in American automobile history.  I was passed by one of these one the expressway one day, is a slightly brighter shade of yellow. 



A one of kind V16, built for aircraft use. 



16 comments:

  1. I don't know why Duesenbergs look so cool and luxurious but they are . . I wouldn't mind seeing this Museum one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I stopped to see the collection.

      Delete
  2. Gosh, great photos of great cars. I do like I nice Duesenberg and assumed they were a German car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The name certainly sound German, lots of immigrants in this part of the world.

      Delete
  3. Some real beauties there and all displayed in a great art-deco environment. Like the architecture of buildings, car designs invariably reflect moments in history and the aspirations of nations. How we see ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The designs from the late 1920's are very flamboyant

      Delete
  4. We have passed the Auburn exit many, many times on our way to visit friends who live on Snow Lake by Angola. I'll put this on my list of one-stop places to explore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are two museums, for $20, well worth the time.

      Delete
  5. Wow, this looks like a great place to visit. What a fantastic selection of cars.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous elegant cars. Years back as a kid we went to the Harrah Automobile Museum, now The National Automobile Museum featuring the Harrah Collection, and I was wonderful, I had never seen so many pristine older cars in my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went to that one a couple of years ago, in Reno.

      Delete
  7. My dad has mention Fort Wayne. He is mid-west boy.
    Coffee is on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister and one of my nephews are living there.

      Delete