Saturday, November 11, 2023

The Saturday Morning Post: Here Is Looking At You Kid 55

Are they looking at their reflection in the lens, or are they looking at me, looking at them?  What thought are happening in their bird brains? Do they have a clue what is happening in my brain, as I aim, zoom, focus, and press the shutter?  

I hope they found me pleasant to look at, or a potential source of food, or as a tasty snack that would carry them through the winter.  I simply found them pretty birds, with interesting coloration, and amazing red eyes.  

Pigeons live an interesting, often short and brutal life.  They see the life of the city, they feast on the detritus of human civilization, they get into places humans can't and see things that others are trying desperately to hide from the world. If only we could understand what they are trying to tell us.  Maybe they hold the key to happiness, or living well, or living longer, or the location of the hoard of El Dorado. 

All I know is I looked at them, they looked at me, and we have that magic moment captured in an image.  

19 comments:

  1. Warbucks sent me a new camera for my birthday complete with two lens. I hope to take good pictures after I learn the thing.

    Pigeons. I call them city chickens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me more about the camera, I can help

      Delete
  2. Pigeons are always tempting subjects for photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. London used to have lots of them

      Delete
  3. I can see they are looking at you. I don't like pigeons at all but it is interesting that Sir David Attenborough described them as the most successful bird in the world because of their lack of fear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they tend to get a little close for comfort

      Delete
  4. A brief connection, but any connection is worth something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe he wanted to come home with me

      Delete
    2. Birds are our friends, esp. if flightless. Which reminds me, Jean-Pierre* should be coming back from vacation soon.
      (*a charming little kiwi we adopted on a trip to Normandy)

      Delete
    3. I don't know how you keep track of them all.

      Delete
  5. Live and let live, as long as they stay off my balcony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is an appropriate time and place for everything, that is not the place for pigeons.

      Delete
  6. That's a great shot. Their coloring makes me think they are related in some way or maybe just of the same tribe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pigeons are indeed fascinating creatures. More resourceful and more intelligent than most people imagine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we could talk to the animals.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for sharing.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  9. I say shoot the b-tds

    ReplyDelete