Thursday, November 16, 2023

The Thursday Ramble: Reflections on Origin and Destiny 50


I was replying to a comment recently and something struck me. 

From time to time, I am surprised to realize that yes, I did graduate from law school (with honors) and pass the bar exam (on the first try) and I am admitted to practice in state and federal courts.  

Doing that was a pipedream, a seemingly impossible goal when the thought first entered my mind.  I was slogging my way through undergrad, taking a couple of classes at a time, working full time - going to school part time.  

Yet, I wanted change in my life, and I knew if that was to happen, I had to do it. One class at a time, one page at a time, it could happen, if I did the work to get there.  

My mind flashes back to driving in Winter Park Florida one evening in the early 1980's, passing a college classroom lit up, and thinking maybe I can do it if I try.  I realize now that I didn't know the limits of what I could do, because I had not tested my limits. Never let a fear of failure stop you from trying your hardest.  

After seven years of higher education, I had a few classes where "average" was the best I could do, no failures. Most of my classes I was above average, in a few I stood out near the top.  

I have come a long way, from the farm, a long way from the kid who failed the first-grade.  I recognize the things I need to work the hardest on, and why I need to work on them harder, and I have done so, because I wanted to change myself, and change at least a little bit of the lives of others.  

Be the change you want to see.
Just keep going. 

 

20 comments:

  1. So with your legal qualifications, can you help with locking up the crim, #45?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Achieving dreams is something that some people can do but for many it is quite impossible. However, I applaud you for getting there through determination and sheer hard work. To look back and see how far you came must be very satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make the best of what you have to work with, that is accomplishment.

      Delete
  3. 🥰😘🥰😘🥰😘🐑🐑🐑 🐇

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think today people want things right away and don't realize that some things take time, years even, but are worth it in the end.

    "One class at a time, one page at a time, it could happen, if I did the work to get there. "

    That says it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Few things worth doing, are easy.

      Delete
  5. It takes a lot of hard work, sacrifice and perseverance to make dreams come true. Clearly you have those qualities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I have had fun along the way, and proven to myself what can be done.

      Delete
  6. This was an inspirational post! As Bob stated in his comment, people now want things instantaneously. Some things just take time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you! Determination and lots of hard work was involved, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I don't know how you make the computers talk to one another the way you do.

      Delete
  8. Have I been sent to Spam again? Not my favourite holiday destination!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. You have come a long way in your adventure.

      Delete
  10. Your journey is inspiring. Maybe in your retirement you could share it with young people at career days at their schools or at law schools where the students are trying to figure out the path they want to take.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Despite everything these two notions are good ones to live by.

    ReplyDelete