Saturday, November 18, 2023

Saturday Morning Post: Too Big? 48

ful

The United States is the land of big cars, and even bigger trucks.  In the late 1970's through the 1980's we embraced smaller cars, I went from full size Oldsmobiles, to a VW four door hatchback and from 20 miles to a gallon of gas, to 50 miles to a gallon of diesel.  And slowly cars got larger, and trucks led the way.  Size matters, but when is big, too big? 

About 20 years ago, International took a semi-tractor platform, and built a four-door pick-up truck on it.  It is the size of a large over the road truck, built to look like a full size American pick-up truck.  I remember when it debuted.  It was on the news, and in the papers. It looked ridiculous, the marketing was it was the truck for someone who really wanted something larger, and for whom money was not object.  I wondered what happened to it. 

Last month in a secondary museum behind the Auburn, Cord, Duesenberg Museum in Indiana, I found the answer.  Only one was ever built, it never went into production.  The full scale prototype was donated quietly to the museum when the project was scrapped.  

It was a ridiculous idea.  I am glad it was never put into production.  Sometimes big, is simply too big.  

16 comments:

  1. Oh my heavens! That's the most hideous vehicle I think I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish someone standing next to it for scale, it is HUGE.

      Delete
  2. My dad bought a dark blue diesel VW Rabbit. I remember having to prime it before driving and during the winter months it took a long time for that fuel to warm up. It chug, chug, chugged along to the tune of 50 mpg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine was Lemon Yellow, and the previous owner had fried the engine, I had trouble with it from first day. But it was really fun to drive - when it was running well.

      Delete
  3. What it needs is a big jacked-up undercarriage and a set of those huge tires. Then it would sell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thought of trying to park that makes me laugh.

      Delete
  4. Clearly that truck was meant for someone to overcompensate for their shortcomings.
    Plus it's hideous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently no one was that short, only one ever built.

      Delete
  5. I've seen some pretty big cars on the road but nothing quite like this. (Thank heavens)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it had gone into production, there would be several on the expressway between Phoenix and Tucson. I have never seen so many huge trucks driving 20 miles an hour over the speed limit.

      Delete
  6. Funnily enough, that is what the ladies used to say to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a painful way to be rejected.

      Delete
  7. I've feebly protested things are too big. In Canada I saw a monstrous brand new GM pick up type vehicle. It looked so intimidating. I've seen a few here now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some pretty massive trucks on the road here - few of them actually used for the purpose a truck is built for.

      Delete