Monday, November 27, 2023

Moody Monday: 39


We finally named a replacement for me, when I retire.  The hire was made last week, but won't be publicly announced until this week. Largely because I took last Tuesday and Wednesday off, and frankly Thanksgiving week the notice would go largely unnoticed.  

Erica has been with us almost two years,  she tells me that the first day she was on the job, I told her to get ready to take over because I was going to retire.  She has a deep background in the substance and practice, she will do great.  It was not an easy decision, we had two very well qualified candidates, I am glad that the decision was not mine to make, it would have been agonizing.  We did find a way to reward the candidate who was not promoted.  

This moves me deeply into transition mode, trying to share with Erica  the added duties that come with the title, and the increase in pay.  We could never pay anyone enough, she will come to that realization in a few months.  

I have two webinars left to do. The preparation for those is 99% complete, and I will enjoy doing them.  On one of them I have an amazing co-presenter who will be fun to work with.  

I have the better part of two weeks of paid leave to use up before my last day, so I won't be working much the last couple of weeks.  

Through a fluke in the way the promotion was done, Erica starts five days before I leave.  A nice transition. I think I will word the announcement that Erica takes over as director on January 1st, and my last day is January 5th, and wait to see if anyone is confused by the dates.  

My last board meeting was a few days ago.  People were commenting about it being the last one, and how sad.  I have to say, I am trying really - really hard to not be sad.  It is my choice, my plan, and the future holds great things.  Yes there are a lot of last times involved, but those will be followed by a lot of first times - and those I am looking forward to with a smile.  Some of the things I have done for the last time, I have thought, I am glad I will never have to do that again, with a smile.  When one door closes, another one opens.   



14 comments:

  1. Soon, all that will be left to is leave the keys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And don't let the door hit my too hard on the way out.

      Delete
  2. Soon you'll wonder why you didn't do this sooner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Health Insurance is the only reason.

      Delete
  3. It was a hard decision for you and a long time coming, and I doubt you will regret retiring from paid work. No plates will broken with your departure, whether you set up for your departure or not. I hope you achieve your retirement plans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's happening! Congrats and enjoy these last few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy the transition and your lessening work load!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see the light at the end

      Delete
  6. Transition is sneaking up on you but it sounds very much like you are more than prepared. It must be fun to plan things now that are not job related.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyday I look at the count down number and I am surprised at how fast this is happening.

      Delete
  7. Retirement brings on so many emotions, excitement for a new future but there's a tentativeness that this new step in life brings. You will reinvent yourself a lot as you discover new avenues to explore. Take your penguin buddy with you wherever you go. He will love the new adventures, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Life is the adventure we make it.

      Delete