Thursday, November 09, 2023

Thursday Ramble: Economics 57


 Last Saturday morning I went to the Community First Saturday Cup of Joe, a coffee gathering in the condo community center.  I got to talking with a neighbor I had never met. He asked me what kind of work I do, and I clarified that it is aging not asia. I asked what he did, and one of the things he has done was teach economics at Harvard, and in Bagdad.  

I took one economics class in College, and looking back at it, it was a class that I have used a huge amount of the basic principles that I learned in that one class.  I should have taken more, though most of the classes beyond that one went deep into my phobia of mathematics. I have been surprised over the years at the number of bright people who failed to understand a few simple principles of finance. 

Here are a few. 

Fixed costs, these are costs that remain the same for a business, no matter how much business they do.  The cost of office space is a good example.  

Variable costs, these are things that vary depending on the volume of business being done.  If a business has to pay extra hours of staff time, that is a variable cost, when doing a conference budget, food is a variable cost - in increases based on the number of people who eat and drink. 

Marginal cost, is the cost of adding another unit of business.  For a membership organization, if it has 100 members, what is the increase in actual cost, if they have 101 members.  It is essential to know this when pricing product, or seeking to add new units of business. I have been have astounded at CEOs that had no idea what this was or how to calculate it. 

The rule of supply, the higher the price the greater the supply.  Below a certain price point, there is no supply of available product, the higher the price, the greater the supply.  I can sell you all of the houses you want to buy, for $1-billion dollars each.  

The law of demand, the lower the price the greater the demand, the higher the price the lower the demand.  At $1 each there are no new cars available to purchase, at $100,000 there is less demand for cars, reaching a point where no one is willing to buy beyond a given price point.  

A market is in balance at the point that the supply curve, meets the demand curve.  There is great demand below that point, but lower profit.  There is lower demand, but greater profit above that point.  

This gets more complicated when you introduce leverage, or borrowed money.  Someone would buy your house for a billion dollars, if the terms were no money down, 0% interest and payments of $1 a month, with the balance due in 500 years.  

If there is no demand, price does not matter.  

If demand meets supply at a price that is below cost, the business will go broke.  

Yes, the things I learned in that class have helped me understand the world of for profit and not-for-profit business.  In many ways it was one of the most important classes I took in school.  The class was 40 years ago, and the adjunct professor who taught that class was probably in his 50's, odds are he is not out there to read this, but THANK YOU, you made a real difference in this life.  

15 comments:

  1. It's quite interesting, isn't it. These economic 'rules' don't always work. Australia does have a private medical industry, lol also subsidised by tax payer. Yesterday I heard of a surgeon who wanted to reduce her workload and so increased her operating fees well above what most would charge, and she became busier than ever as people thought to charge such fees, she must be very good. Economic predictions need to take more weight from what economists might view as predictable human behaviour to human behaviour being illogic at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is an entire area of study for artificial market forces, such as subsidies, and the in USA the "reasonable and customary" or negotiated prices for medical services.

      Delete
    2. A number of years ago, the same thing happened with a few private universities in the US. They raised their fees and their academic reputations and application numbers went up considerably.

      Delete
    3. Costs more, much be better

      Delete
  2. I didn't find the subject very interesting when I should have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear I had the right professor who made this stuff interesting for everyone. He was a corporate farm manager by trade. He joked that he controlled what was planted and grown in 1/3 of Iowa.

      Delete
  3. Ohmygosh...this brought back a memory that I can laugh at now. Econ 101 was the only D (it was a D-) I ever got in my entire academic career. It was freshman year, first quarter, and I was 17 when I started college. I had never taken a class like Econ, the class moved very quickly (10 weeks to get through a big, fat book), and I got totally lost. If I took the class now, I would be fine. My young, just-off-to-college brain just wasn't ready to handle it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the bad flashback.

      Delete
  4. Oh dear. I just got back, and you have my minding spinning already dear.

    Where did I leave the Hendricks at........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hendricks is not fungible with other gins and quality demands a higher price curve.

      Delete
  5. It's interesting the things we are exposed to in our youth that have a lifetime impact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The right teacher at the right time.

      Delete
  6. I have been profoundly influenced by teachers in my life, but never on economics. Like science, it's not so much my thing, but makes me grateful for people in the world who do find it interesting and helpful and useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind of like how I feel about accountants.

      Delete
  7. I have taken just about every sort of course there is but economics and it is a gaping hole one I should - nay - need to do. Without knowing it it seems more mumbo jumbo than psychology.

    ReplyDelete