Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Travel Tuesday:Vestmannaeyjar Island Iceland Photo Dump


When we were in Iceland in 2022 we saw the black sand beaches and ferry to Vestmannaeyjar, I knew I wanted to go see this. And we made it back in 2023. 





80 percent of the electricity in Iceland is from renewable sources, hydro and geothermal.  They have committed to being hydrocarbon free by 2040. The ferry to the Island is a rechargeable electric boat. It is clean, efficient, comparatively quiet.  






The ride out to the island, was windy and rough. I found it much more comfortable to be out on deck, in the wind, looking at the distance.  







This cave is in the passageway to the harbor, I would love to explore it.





The town has a couple of hotels, a couple of hostels, a couple of grocery stores, and a handful of shops and restaurants.  













In 1973 much of the town was destroyed by a volcano, there is a museum showing the devastation, much of the village is new since then, with older buildings nearer the harbor being those that survived the eruption.   










The dark top of the hill, is the top of the volcano that swallowed the village.  This was the view from our hotel room. 




The same volcano, the next morning. 






The seas were much calmer on the return trip to the mainland the next morning.  The orange structure, is a lighthouse.  

 

20 comments:

  1. Spectacular. Amazing to see some of the devastation from the volcano and then to see it sitting there peacefully in the distance. J looks good in cold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see these pictures! I spent a week on the island in the summer of 1970 as a part of a student work program, and I haven't been back since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The electric ferry is a nice ride.

      Delete
  3. I am not sure I would have slept well, waiting for rumblings from the volcano.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I booked it before I described the volcano to everyone, how many people have spent the night in the shadow of a volcano.

      Delete
  4. I was in Iceland back in 2016. I loved it! Your photos brought back many good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I swear I've seen that island in a couple of films; I'm sure it was in the last Bond movie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice collection, Sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty rugged place to live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would think so, and very-very windy

      Delete
  8. What a unique experience to go to such an isolated spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the hotel was comfortable

      Delete
  9. Fascinating to be right there on the edge of everything in a land that still seems elemental and only half-made

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In many ways a place that is still growing

      Delete
  10. One time I ask my son which of the three countries he visit he would live in. The answer was Iceland.
    Coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete