Monday, June 12, 2023

Moody Monday: Always Look For The good


In the dark and moody days of my early twenties, I read a lot of popular psychology, self-help, and personal development books.  

One of the messages I remember from them was "be a good finder."  The concept was look for one positive thing in every person, even if it is only that they are a model of what you don't want to be. Look for the good in every situation. At my great-grandmothers funeral I got to know a great uncle who was an enigma before and after.  One good thing, on an otherwise miserable day. His company car was a stretched Cadillac Limo. He lived in Connecticut and worked in Manhattan and the company provided a car and driver. He had driven it to Detroit for the funeral, one of his son's drove, my grandmother, uncle John and I sat in the back for a 90 minute drive from the funeral home to the cemetery. I learned more about his life in those 90 minutes, than before or after. 

I have a theory that happiness is a choice, it is an inside job. I can chose to find the good, and be happy, or I can chose to focus on the miseries of life, and be miserable.  Being happy is easier, most of the time.  

I have read a lot over the years about the power of purpose.  Why am I here, and how can I make at least a little corner of the world a better place while I am here?  When I stumbled into the career I am about to retire from, I found a purpose. Work that made a difference for me, made a difference for others, that hopefully leaves the world just a little better than it was before. It has developed into helping others, be better able to help others. 

My purpose in retirement?  To create beauty, write things that make a difference, encourage others to find the good and celebrate the adventure of life. 

12 comments:

  1. I love your purpose in retirement! Happiness isn't always a choice. Brain chemistry, among other factors, can keep it out of reach. But it sure is nice if you can achieve it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been lucky in the brain chemistry department

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful, uplifting Monday post! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, then I get to my Monday morning office emails

      Delete
  3. A very nice post. Besides it take more energy being nasty and hateful.

    I recognize the picture...the entrance to Chinatown in Philly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. China Town gate in DC, there are only a few business and one apartment building left here.

      Delete
  4. I agree that you have to choose happiness. As my parents taught me, it's all you really get in life, and it's all around you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While we are here, we might as well dance

      Delete
  5. You're absolutely right -- always focus on the positive, not on the negative. Be aware the negative exists but don't let it run your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to remember to avoid the evil

      Delete
  6. Great post. You are right. It is much better to focus on the good in life. There is always a good side to explore.

    ReplyDelete