Wednesday, June 14, 2023

My World of Wonders - the Wednesday W's: Indictment Edition


What made me smile this week? The indictment of he who must not be named.  The man who hid his tax returns, apparently didn't understand the concept of classified documents, and the irreparable harm that can be done when they are carelessly handled. I am looking for the chant, LOCK HIM UP, LOCK HIM UP, LOCK HIM UP!  Old men die in prison for what he did - and I am okay with that - people working for our government have likely died because of his carelessness. 

Where have I been? Beyond the usual, dinner with a friend at Bis Bistro in the Hotel George on Capital Hill. Great food, Jim was in town to move admission of 25 older lawyers to the Bar of the Supreme Court; I should join someday.  Out to Tysons Corner for a meeting with a room full of financial services regulators. Dinner in DC with a friend, the adult daughter of the first blogger I met in person, who was here in town for a Hill Day on hospice and palliative care issues. 

Who have I seen this week? Jim, Ms. E, Laura, Pam, and Ron, personal and professional friends.  It was fun to be out at in person meetings.  

What surprised me this week? A couple of Supreme Court decisions.  One ruling that gerrymandering voting districts in Alabama was so horrible it has to be redone. And one affirming the right of nursing home residents to sue for civil rights violations.  Two moderate decisions from an otherwise conservative Court. Proof that good judges put the law before personal politics - at least sometimes. (I bet this one draws the most comments.) 

Where am I going?  The most immediate is a visit to family in Cleveland. Jay is gathering records to see if he qualifies for citizenship in the country his grandmother was born in, some his brother has, others we may be able to retrieve from the clerk's office.  And it will be nice to see Ed and Paula, and Tim.  

What have I been eating? An amazing Pappardelle Ragu Bolognese - oh it was good.  Homemade dill pickles, my pickling is going faster than my consumption, if you are nearby stop by for a pickle or two - they are so good.  

What made me sad this week?  Sophie the French/Scottish sheep dog died. She had been diagnosed with late stage cancer a couple of weeks ago. She will be missed by all who followed her adventures through the words of Angus and the Font. I do hope they keep blogging. 

Who deserves an big THANK YOU this week? The federal judge, appointed by he who must not be named, who ruled the Tennessee drag show ban is unConstitutional.  He did the right thing.  

What have I been reading? I finished Twelve Hours to Del Mar - it is an anthology, an old friend has a short story in it, and Spiced. 

What made me wonder this week? Pat Robertson died, I wonder if he discovered he was right, and there is a hell? 



 


 

 


 


  

18 comments:

  1. That picture...one of trumps old administration staff????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the sidewalk at the car wash

      Delete
  2. Oh that photo: Does the Orange Menace lose his color after he dies... like squid?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just want to see a humiliating photo of Orange Man behind bars.
    I vaguely remember Robertson. His death is no great loss to the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he is a flight risk, and if he wasn't who he thinks he is, he would have been held.

      Delete
  4. Love what you said about Pat Robertson!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarcasm runs in my father's family.

      Delete
  5. Pat Robertson is BBQing even as we speak.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a good week, for Voting Rights, for Drag Shows and for the country to see that Thing 45 is a traitor. His numbers are slowly dwindling, which is also a boon.

    As for Robertson, I will quote the late great Bette Davis who, when Joan Crawford died, said: "You should never say bad things about the dead, only good… Joan Crawford is dead? Good."
    I say the same about Robertson.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, t!he bickering in Alabama...Ohio went through a redistricting process and it took a while to get approved. It passed without Democratic support which means the new lines will be in place for four years rather than a full decade. Love your comment about Pat Robertson! I've been making pickles, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been waiting for that "lock him up" chant too! That Supreme Court ruling was a surprise. I wonder how much of it was because the court's approval ratings are pretty abysmal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the court does not follow public opinion

      Delete
  9. I will blog about it in next a little while. My husband stop by where they're selling Trump flags and such. Pro Trump and ask if they had one with "Trump for Prison"
    Coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete