Monday, June 05, 2023

Moody Monday: The Odd Things



I just walked past my chest of drawers, on the top along with 4 pairs of bifocals, is a train ticket from Pisa to Firenze from February 15, 2002.  Why have I kept it? It was probably used to mark my place in a book, and it has just stuck around as a reminder of my first trip to Italy - funny I thought we were there in 2001.  

My world is filled with oddities that remind of of places, people, events.  Most all have positive memories attached to them.  

In the bookcases with the glass doors in my bedroom, there are a few items from my parents, a couple of belt buckles that were my fathers,  small and inconspicuous with deep meaning for him, one is masonic, the other from Sue Bee, the last decade of his time as a beekeeper we produced for them.  He was not a flashy person, but was deeper than most people thought. There is a tiny photo, of the last airplane he owned, a print he carried in his wallet for 50 years, and I framed after he died.  His wallet is still in my safe, it has $60 in it, that he had in there when he died.  

On my bedroom door is a collection of "Do Not Disturb" signs, collected from hotels across the country and around the world.  Most are simple and utilitarian, some are works of art.  Most remind me of a particular adventure, and hotel that was special in some way.  On the back corner of my desk is a logbook of hotel stays I have kept since 2005, at last count over 650 hotel nights.  A few marked, "Stay Here Again", a few marked "Never Again." Most hotels are interchangeable, just a clean quiet place to sleep and shower.  

Frogs are odd animals in so many ways, but then who are we to talk?  


14 comments:

  1. Yes, I think we all have a few oddities...that would get weird looks but mean something to us.

    And I'm not fond of frogs or toads...and a damn garden toad showed up again in our yard. Search me...I thought they needed a pond or source of water....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someday your Prince will come,

      Delete
    2. Prince! Oh honey I'm too much of an independent Queen!

      Delete
    3. That is what they all say, until the kiss the right frog.

      Delete
  2. Yep, that's exactly what frogs say about us. Do not disturb signs are a fun thing to steal... I mean collect from hotels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now how did that end up here?

      Delete
  3. A few mementos of life is nice, as long as it is not excessive. I had a crate full of travel memorabilia and the lot went, and never missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have what many would consider to be too much

      Delete
  4. It would never occur to me to collect "do not disturb" signs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have used as bookmarks old plane tickets and such; I like seeing them and being reminded of the trip.
    And now I'm annoyed I didn't take Do Not Disturb signs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute frog photos. I have an underground ticket, the old paper kind, in the pocket of one of my coats. I don't know why I've kept it but it stays there. Whenever I wear that coat, my fingers touch that ticket and I remember all my wonderful trips to London.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a stack of transit cards, I was surprised my Oyster card still worked after like 8 years of being away.

      Delete