Thursday, May 04, 2023

Thursday Ramble: Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude


Well I have been from 28* above the equator, to 66* above the equator in 90 days.  New Orleans, the more southerly of the two, was work, and it was stressful.  Iceland on the other hand was not, and was not.  I noticed an almost instant shift in my thinking, my late brother in law was famous for saying, "no stinken thinken!"  I found myself smiling, noticing the people around me, talking to strangers. A change in latitude and change in attitude.  

I looked at my office email, noticed the latest SNAFU, and thought, it isn't my problem this week, someone will fix it.  I rested well knowing that there are good competent colleagues, people who know what they are doing, who will fix it.  So I ask myself, "why do I worry about it and them when I am there?" Maybe it is time to remember what Bobby McFerrin told us, Don't Worry, Be Happy! 

Part of the magic of travel, is getting away from the normal and routine.  Seeing new things, meeting new people, eating unusual foods, doing something different.  

This trip was structured to not be a forced march through Iceland.  A few select locations, with more time allotted for exploring or doing nothing at each.  It was been good.  I did break one of my cardinal rules about "no one night stands" - meaning no hotel stays of less than two nights.  We had a couple of hotels for one night only, adding to the in and out, opening and closing bags.  It adds to the strain.  But it worked, and I was having difficulty making the itinerary for this trip fit into when I could be away from the office.   

We also experienced flexibility.  I get set in plan, and fight change.  Snow changed our plan.  It was time to re-evaluate and be flexible.  When we were changing directions for better weather, we stopped at a service station, I asked the clerk when the weather would improve, he said, "anytime, probably this afternoon, but then again, maybe not. You can experience all four seasons here, in the same day."  So true, oh so true.  Enjoy all of the seasons.  An interesting latitude. 

7 Months 27 days 



 




15 comments:

  1. I've been told Iceland has two seasons, winter and not-winter. I was also told they often occur on the same day. It sounds to me like you're developing a very healthy attitude about work and life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not winter is easier to travel in

      Delete
  2. It's those changes in latitudes,
    changes in attitudes nothing remains quite the same.
    With all of our running and all of our cunning,
    If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane. ~JB

    A tropical rum drink sounds yummy...but for now it's morning coffee! Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The coffee is dark, bitter, and wonderful here.

      Delete
  3. "Part of the magic of travel, is getting away from the normal and routine. Seeing new things, meeting new people, doing something different." THAT was what I missed the most during the pandemic from traveling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to be back to normal

      Delete
  4. I like a little structure when I travel, but I keep spontaneity in view, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We enjoyed having lots of time to see what we wanted to see

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you are Icelandic in your soul!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in the process of planning a trip for late summer and I have a list of things to do and places to see. I love making the list but I also know that once I get there, I tend to play it by ear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good balance of knowing what you can see, without feeling compelled to do everything.

      Delete
  7. I like to plan things out but leave room for flexibility when things go awry.

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm Plan A and Plan B, and sometime ones need combine the two and come up with Plan C
    Coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete