Saturday, May 20, 2023

The Saturday Morning Post: Notice the Little Things





 There are worlds of wonder around us.  Big scale, vistas, cities, crouds, people, massive machines, the forest - these are the things that we most notice.  They are all around us, they are easy to see, hard to miss.  At the same time there is a tiny world around us.  I remember as a child, stopping and sitting in the dirt examining the flora and fauna around me, while my mother fussed about the dirt on my clothes, and often bare feet.  

It is harder for me to sit on the ground these days, but I can still slow down, look down and around, and notice the tiny world around me.  

We were visiting this fisherman's cottage, part of a historic display affiliated with the Viking World Museum.  There were sweeping vistas, the cottage, and the nearby museum on the waterfront to catch my attention, then I noticed the moss growing along the top edge of the stone wall.  Tinny forests, self contained ecosystems,  right there in front of me, so easy to overlook, so fascinating to explore.  

Stop today, look down and see what is around you.  

16 comments:

  1. Just one good look in the garden, and you'll see much going on in just that one small space. One little sub story in the grand big novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrots, onions, potatoes, all of the things happening below the surface.

      Delete
  2. Always an important thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could go sit in the sand on the beach,

      Delete
  3. Sage advice. Always best to actually look around and down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great suggestion. There is always something to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I should sit in the dirt like I did as a child

      Delete
  5. You are of course right. There is much to be gained from examining the microworld right in front of us.
    P.S. What are crouds? Are they something like "crowds"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much like crowds, but cuddier

      Delete
  6. They're more good in world than not.
    Coffee is on and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes yes yes notice the little things and take wonder in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonder in the details, of the mini forest

      Delete