Monday, May 29, 2023

Moody Monday: Memorial Day


The last Monday in May, is Memorial Day, also known as Decoration Day.  The origins are to honor those who died in War, by decorating the graves.

I have read several books about pilgrimage, most are religious in nature, or retrace family history.  I have experienced a little of those. 

A couple of decades ago, Jay was attending a conference at Oxford, I had spent a week there four years before, and decided I wanted something different.  I looked a the map and the closest different, was the west coast of France.  Normandy attracted me, and off I went.  

I had seen the World War II movie "The Longest Day" a few times, it focussed on the battle for St Mere Eglise.  A little research showed that it was a real place, and a real struggle.  I found the village on the map, and a pilgrimage was planned.  

I was surprised by how moved I was.  Thinking of the commitment of my parents generation to liberating France from fascism.  It was an experience that has stayed with me, and that is the core of pilgrimage.  Honoring something greater than ourselves. 

That is my mood this Monday. 


 

12 comments:

  1. I've been moved by pilgrimages of my own. Very special experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I will make it back to Brooklyn, in better weather.

      Delete
  2. We went to Normandy in 2019 and had a marvelous guide whose grandfather's hotel was taken over by the Germans. She shared story after story. To see the coast of England across the Channel was very profound. Imagine all those boats and troops charging over to storm the beaches. We attended the flag lowering ceremony at the American Cemetery. I cried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been the cemetery twice. There are some neat hotels in that corner of the world, with stories to not be forgotten.

      Delete
  3. During WWII, were people even aware about the battles going on in Europe? Here they were so far as newspapers reported, which would have mostly been filtered through the government. But of course when you see such places now, you cannot help but be moved and mourn the loss of so many young men. Even now, so many Russian men are being killed, not really much older than teenagers. What a waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much waste to satisfy the egos of a few angry people.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks, I rescued you from comment jail.

      Delete
  5. This is the perfect post for Memorial Day. You've captured the essence of the day beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I was looking for photos of the cemetery, and saw this one and it just clicked.

      Delete