Thursday, May 18, 2023

The Thursday Ramble: 100 Years


I have had a couple of long conversations at the office recently. Long, rambling, and disconnected. The kind of conversation that takes me to the end of my cognitive bandwidth. Intellectual sparring with someone who processes information at a faster speed than I do. I have learned over the years that my best answer, comes afterwards, often at 2 or 3 in the morning - and I usually remember what the answer is.  Rambles that may not seem to have a point, or come to a conclusion, but often generate the seed of an idea that grows and blooms into a revelation. I fear this posting is kind of like that, but here we go.  

The stylish couple are my mother's parents, the photo that is about 100 years old.  Both of them are wearing hats, a norm up into the 1950's.  My paternal grandfather complained that lower roof lines in cars in the late 50's and 60's were the end of civilized people wearing hats.  

Cars have changed a lot.  This was an era when most cars, were open cars, no side windows.  Today open top cars are rare. A car without closing windows on the side, unheard of today.  

This photo was taken before Lindbergh flew the Atlantic,  before airline service. When passenger trains stopped in hundreds of small towns across North America.  In their lifetime they saw manned flight, too many wars to count, and man land on the moon.  

How much will change in the next 100 years.  How old fashioned will today's cars look 100 years from now?  Will people go back to wearing hats? Will natural fabrics, cotton, wool, linen come back into more common use? (I hope so, wool is so unused, that Jeremy Clarkson used the wool from his flock to insulate his new house.) 

For some article I was writing I looked up the cause of the increase in life expectancy over the past 100 years.  I expected that modern medical care, antibiotics, and occupational safety would be at the top of the list.  I was surprised to learn that the number one factor in living longer is sanitation and safe drinking water.  Indoor plumbing has contributed more to longer life, than Lipitor and penicillin.  Medical research is chasing the fringe of longer life.  


15 comments:

  1. I was struck by how much you look like your grandmother!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And with AI....I think things are about to start changing by the hour and life as we know it!!!!

      Delete
    2. I didn't get her hair line. And I agree things are changing

      Delete
    3. She reminds me of Olive Oil

      Delete
  2. Another of your wonderful family photos. I sometimes wonder what my grandparents would think if they could see how we now live and the things we rely on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some say we'll be living in pods on Mars while others say we'll be devastated by climate change and overpopulation but I say, "Do 'ave a Dubonnet!"

    Wonderful photograph. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the earth will sustain humans beyond my lifetime

      Delete
  4. "I have learned over the years that my best answer, comes afterwards, often at 2 or 3 in the morning," happens to us all. Also, let me state forthrightly that I am a big fan of sanitation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have always been so clean, even as a child

      Delete
  5. People underestimate the importance of water, clean water.
    Change is coming and it's not all for the good of human kind.
    We talk about saving the planet, but the Earth will survive in a new form; people, sadly, might not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take away the people and the earth will heal

      Delete
  6. Somewhere in my stash of very old photos, I have a similar photo of my grandparents also posed by a car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is another one of my great grandparents

      Delete
  7. Actually the life expectancy is going down for a few reasons and the quality of life is not going up. People are beginning to care less of the number of years and what they will be like.

    ReplyDelete