Thursday, May 25, 2023

The Thursday Ramble: Anchor Points


What are the anchor points of our lives?  What ties us to the things we think and do?  Many people are tied to family.  I was for the first half of my life, where I lived was based on where family was. The work I did was tied to the place I was. 

For about a decade, running, cycling, and swimming were anchor points in my life.  My schedule was built around gym time, run time, long rides, fast sprints, and early Saturday mornings about 30 weeks out of the year running with the crowd.  In some way I miss that, in other ways I recognize that it dominated my existence, oh how hard it was to make Levis with a 30 inch waist fit.  

About half a life ago, I broke those anchor points. My new anchor point became my sweet bear.  We moved to opportunity, for Jay a tenure teaching position, for me the chance to start a new career in mid-life.  

Jay and the new career became my anchor points.  Jay has brought happiness, self-acceptance and love into my life in ways I never experienced before.  The new career brought meaning and fulfillment to my life.  I know I whine about work - after all if it was easy - all fun and games - anyone could do it.  Work has challenges, but it also has rewards.  We have made a difference, we have slowly changed how many people think about age and ability.  If our theories are right, we have made the world a better place.  If we are wrong the next generation will fix that.  

Moving forward into retirement, what will be my anchor points?  Initially there is traveling to be done.  Travel that has been difficult or impossible with the responsibilities of work. I will have more time to write, to blogg (oh goody you get more of me!)  To walk, to take photos.  I want to throw the photos out for the world.  I can't take them with me, and someday after my brain deletes the files, so with the servers. I want to get back to the gym, not in pursuit of a 30 inch waist, but to keep myself moving. (I have been walking 45 to 60 minutes a day for three weeks now.) 

Reading is an anchor point for me.  With remote and now hybrid work I have had to change when and where I read.  I want to keep reading as an anchor point.  Reading stimulates thinking, and I want to keep thinking.  

There are others, but this ramble is getting long.    



 

18 comments:

  1. My anchor point is a rusty iron anchor point in our garden that I tie myself to during high winds - just in case I blow away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on those daily walks. So good for you in every way. As I read this I realized that the idea of anchor points scared me a little. The idea of them holding me down or in one place. Just my nature. I do, however, have some important connections — maybe through the cloud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SG, the Cats, Art, Chuck, the plants, I can think of a few constants.

      Delete
  3. I think my anchor points have always been friends, family, art and travel. They always keep you anchors and clear the mind which I feel longer keeps me healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the houseboys, they must keep you busy

      Delete
  4. My anchors are Carlos and friends and family and our lovely pets. I will also throw in music and books and sunshine.
    Walking is great exercise for the body and mind. I feel like it's a meditative thing for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a nice walk yesterday afternoon, if I start work soon, another one this afternoon.

      Delete
  5. Good for you on those daily walks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I stop moving the vultures might stop circling and try landing.

      Delete
  6. Your walking effort is very impressive. My anchor points are my partner and my home, and to a lesser degree family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three points make a strong anchor

      Delete
  7. I would say my job at this time is my anchor.
    By the way. North Idaho is pretty. Such look at Sandpoint Idaho, they do have a pride day.
    Coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am going to just be in the south east corner of Idaho, found a neat hotel.

      Delete
  8. This one makes me think. I am not sure if I have any anymore.

    ReplyDelete