Monday, May 08, 2023

Moody Monday: Harbor Cat


 I learned this week that the suffix "vik" in most Scandinavian languages means harbor, or cove.  

In Keflavik we were moseying along the waterfront, in the area of the old commercial harbor, when this little cutie came trotting over from the back door of a fish processing plant.  HRH was in and out of the rocks on the seawall, purring, and rubbing up against rocks and posts.  She was giving off very mixed signals, sometimes looking like she wanted attention, and moment later warning to keep your distance if you know what is good for you.  Kind of like some people I know.  

Every vik, had a fish plant or several.  We stopped in a couple of tiny coastal villages that had a couple of dozen houses, a church, and a fish house.  I enjoy fish, I have seldom tried a fish I didn't like (the last time I changed planes in Dallas, I had a muddy catfish that was barely edible.) Nearly everyday in Iceland started with smoked or cured salmon on the breakfast buffet.  Cod, including lingcod was the main course a couple of times, and arctic char.  Shrimp, tiny arctic lobster tails showed up often, and Icelandic Fish Soup, a local staple.  I would bet that HRH would approve of all of it.  Granted cats generally don't like water, but I have seen them fish in a shallow stream (or bucket of fish.) HRH has chosen a good vik as home if she/he likes fish. 

How would I describe my mood this week?  Worried about getting the office through my tenure, a need to set them up for after me, and relaxed that I have a plan for after.  The other day I was sorting through the 34,000+ emails in my office email, and thinking, in a few months someone will delete all of these.  Why am I keeping them today?  

Something I am really looking forward to is taking my office email off of my phone.  I don't let it run my life, but it is always there.  Cut the cord, let me free. The office gives me a token $30 a month for cell service, and in return obligates me to have my office email on my phone.  I really thought if I sold my soul I would get more than that.  I bet HRH, is not tied to the vik, lucky kitty.  



  

17 comments:

  1. Is that hood hair on J? SG's maternal grandfather grew up on a northern Norwegian farm called Vik. Some cousins still live there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More like bed head, he had slept most of the day.

      Delete
    2. And I was heavenly! I ain't ashamed.

      Delete
    3. I have never known anyone as talented at sleeping

      Delete
  2. She came out from behind a fish processing plant? Id say she has found and set herself up in a good place!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be like the cat; be there when necessary and hiss away when you need a break!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you in Iceland right now or is this a past memory? You are right about "vik" and Reykjavik means "smoky bay" because of the hot springs that were visible there when Iceland was first colonised. Are you retiring, moving elsewhere or being sacked for gross misbehaviour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were in Iceland the last week of April. Retirement is on the horizon, try as I may, I have not convinced them to get rid of me.

      Delete
  5. Yes, that is definitely my HRH's Icelandic cousin HRH. And what cat DOESN'T like fish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun to see cats in Iceland

      Delete
  6. That 'office mail on the phone' thing is one I haven't done. Many of my co-workers have but, I've learned to keep them separate.
    Cute photo of the cat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ling Cod our river has them in. It been ages since I had some.
    Coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete