Friday, May 12, 2023

Funky Friday: Weird Exits I Have Seen


Having been in the workforce for 50 years, I have seen some funky and funny exits, people quitting, or being fired.  These stories are true, even if the names have been changed to protect the innocent. 

Bob had been national sales manager for builder that closed down, and came to work selling homes.  The first few months were fun, he had a really interesting background and was a lot of fun.  Then it wasn't.  He stood up in the middle of a weekly staff meeting and said, "It has been fun, and it has been real, but it isn't real fun, I am out of here." He dropped his office keys on the table and left.  

Fred walked into the boss's office one day and said, "have you ever seen a grown man urinate on a desk? Move anything important!" Yes,  he did.  

In a weekly staff meeting, a new work schedule was passed around.  The guy sitting next to me looked at it, and asked the sales manager, "where am I on the schedule?" The sales manager said, "oh I meant to talk to you before the meeting, everyone take a five minute break." When we came back the seat next to me was empty.  

Same sales manager, Brad showed up still drunk from the night before to a staff meeting. Sales Manager had been alerted that the office was found with a case of empty beer cans on the desk.  That firing was loud and public, and probably well deserved.  I was hired there, because the person I replaced was found sound asleep in a supply closet in the middle of the day.  Sleeping off a late night of partying with Brad.  

I arranged to have dinner with a new project manager, a nice guy.  The next day I received an email that he was no longer working for us. I asked why, and was told, we can't discuss that, google his name.  He was arrested for hacking in the email system of a previous employer and posting nasty messages to all staff and clients. 

I was in a late afternoon meeting at one of the building companies I worked for, updating our list of available options.  At the end of it, Jim one of the senior managers, said see you at the staff meeting in the morning and headed to his office.  I went down the hall and checked my mail slot, and there was a memo saying that Jim had left the firm to pursue other opportunities.  He didn't know that until he got to his office.  The memo went out before he was told. 

I kept getting calls looking for a construction manager.  I hadn't seen him, hadn't heard from him, I was covering part of his job.  Later that afternoon a VP stopped by to tell me they had found him.  In a corner table at Pizza Hut, well into his second or third jug of beer. He asked if could cover until someone new could start.  

The building business burns through a lot of money and a lot of people. 


  




11 comments:

  1. The building industry I was told- Turn em' and burn em'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The turn over rate was rather high

      Delete
  2. Wow. “Move anything important.” I wish I could have seen that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny that Bob stood up at a meeting and said he was done because I actually did that once myself when the bosses at a weekly suggested they would be weeding out certain employees. I asked if I could weed myself out and then walked out.
    The boss came after me and assured me that I wasn't one of the ones they were looking to fire, but I said, again, I'll just fire myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my line of work, the drunks, day sleepers, and email terrorists didn't get fired. It's called tenure. 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now we know why a few of your former colleagues are still there

      Delete
  5. I don't have any great stories like that because the assholes who deserved to be fired in all the places I worked, never were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many organizations are afraid to fire anyone.

      Delete
  6. Those are some wild and crazy exits. My very close friends are employment lawyers. They would have fun with some of these.

    ReplyDelete