Wednesday, January 24, 2024

The Wednesday Ws, aka My World of Wonders January 24, 2024



Where have I been? The George Washington Presidential Library at Mt. Vernon, the Smithsonian's National Museum of African American History & Culture, the community center for the opening of a show of nature photos, the gym, the grocery store. 

Who have I talked with? My sweet bear, Susan our neighborhood rocket scientist, my former officemates, my middle brother, Jim a friend in Chicago, Jennifer a friend in Indiana. Traded emails with Maddie, Spo, and Emily the daughter of a high school friend. 

What am I planning?  The meetings and dinners in Louisville in a week or so when I am there for a conference. 

What am I thinking about?  I have been invited to a short conference at Yale, a bunch of friends will be there.  Why am I thinking about it, it is in mid February - the weather could be atrocious. 

Where am I headed? The DC Auto Show today, at the Convention Center, and lunch with my successor on Monday in the city - followed by a walk in one of the museums.  

What made me smile this week?  Getting out and enjoying the area. Understanding most of what the author had to say at the library (I had read the book in December.) 

What is making me sad? The number of bloggers taking a break, we miss you!  

What has the weather been like? It snowed, then it snowed again.  More winter this week, than we have had in the last two years. 

What have I been reading?  I have finished five books already this year.   





16 comments:

  1. Ooh yeah, New Haven can be raw in February. I used to go to the NYC auto show in the ‘60s with my sister and loved it. We even met Jean Claude Killy. So exciting. I had a crush on him but didn’t know what it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hormones of youth. In the 60's we went the Detroit Auto Show several times. I booked New Haven.

      Delete
  2. I am back now. No need to miss me. Haha, as if.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Four of my dailys were out at the same time.

      Delete
  3. Love that first photo of the Tommie Smith and John Carlos and statue. Simple protest, but it shook the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is one facing it of the Williams sisters.

      Delete
    2. I enlarged the photo and could see it, though at first I thought it just the reflection of Smith and Carlos.

      Delete
  4. You certainly have been a busy man! Glad you are enjoying your retirement so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am starting to get used to it.

      Delete
  5. Glad you're getting out and about and having fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made it to the library yesterday .

      Delete
  6. That conference at Yale might be interesting in spite of the weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went ahead and booked it. It is on Elder Abuse, and half of the speakers are people I have worked with over the years.

      Delete
  7. My husband still attends mortgage banking conferences (he's been retired for 3 years). He enjoys keeping in touch with friends as well as keeping up with what's going on in the business. It's beneficial to his consulting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to stay active in some Association work as a volunteer.

      Delete
  8. After I've read one of your posts I just want to take a nap. Just kidding, of course, continue enjoying your non-work life. (I would have said retirement but . . . )

    ReplyDelete