Friday, January 05, 2024

Fabulous Friday: I made it - how did I end up here? 0


Today is my last official day of work

I have been working for over 50 years, it is hard to believe it has been that long. Growing up on a farm, there was always work to be done, and dad figured out that if he paid the kids to do it, we were in a lower tax bracket than he was, I started signing tax returns when I was about 13.  

After the farm, I tried earning a living with cameras for a year or so, then worked in a general real estate brokerage for a couple of years.  Then fifteen years marketing and selling for home builders. Then in mid life, I had the only hourly jobs of my life, I sold ladies shoes in a department store for a few months, then worked as a credit analyst, then started graduate school in law, after law school I was hired to staff and then manage a legal hotline for seniors, and from there to the ABA. The job at the ABA was the longest I stayed with one employer (a little over 15 years.) 

I could write a whole week of posts about money and saving.  Simply said, we have saved along the way, worked hard to be debt free for a few years now. We are ready. 

Over the weekend we are headed off to meet Mitchel, Sean, Jeffery and Maddie in New York for lunch, so next Monday will feel like any other adventure.  The following Monday I will wake up for the first time in 50 years without job duties. I wonder how it will feel. 

18 comments:

  1. When I first moved out in my first apartment, did I tell you I worked at the ABA? Yep, I worked their part time after hours doing the cleaning for them at their location on Front Street.

    I'm still bummed about NYC.......and not getting a strong group hug...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know that. Hugs from afar, enjoy your upcoming adventure.

      Delete
  2. Maybe come Monday morning you will yawn, turn over and go back to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Enjoy taking a bite out of the Big Apple to start your retirement adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to the city, and friends.

      Delete
  4. Happy Retirement Day Sweetie! 😘

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! It's a big day in anyone's life! Enjoy your freedom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I retired in 2019 and it felt weird to me for quite a while. I felt guilty that I wasn't "productive" most days. Now I am finally getting used to it and can enjoy being lazy or busy - my choice! Congrats on your retirement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I imagine there will be a period of adjustment.

      Delete
  7. Celebrate! You've earned it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drinks with friends and neighbors this evening.

      Delete
  8. Happy last day! It's time to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I remember my last day of work. And the years of lazy joy since. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete