Friday, January 12, 2024

Foodie Friday: Boneless Beef Shortribs Meets Beef Borgognone

I have Julia's classic Mastering the Art of French Cooking, and her bouf borgognone is a masterpiece of fussiness.  There is something to be said about studying perfection, learning the right way, but I didn't stop there.  I learned to take the concept apply it, to make it my way.  

What is being started above, is a slow braise, or stew of boneless beef short ribs, in a burgundy wine sauce. Here is how I do it, 
    Peel and roughly chop an onion, 
    Saute the onion in a little olive oil in a heavy dutch oven or stock         pot. You want to start the onion cooking before adding the wine. 
    Add to this two to four stalks of celery roughly chopped,
    One carrot, roughly chopped
    Mushrooms, cleaned and roughly chopped.  
The vegetables are there for a flavor base, don't worry about how precisely they are chopped, after 3-5 hours of cooking they will have given up their flavor and be mush you will toss away.  
    Salt and pepper the beef, and add to the pan.  You can use stew beef, or a cheap roast cut into chunks. This low and slow method of cooking is aimed at making a tough cut of beef fall apart tender.  
    Pour over half a bottle of red wine.  Something worth drinking. 
    Cover, and move to the oven, set at about 300 degrees F.  
    Check it every hour or so.  You may need to add liquid, water, stock     or more wine. 
    Cooking time will be 3-5 hours.  

    When the beef starts to fall apart. 
    
    Trim and cut potatoes
    Peel and cut up carrots (parsnips, and white turnips are good)
    Mushrooms in chunks. 
    Add these to the beef, return to the oven for 45 minutes or until the     potatoes are tender.

Remove the beef and veggies from the pan, strain the liquid,discarding the mushy veggies. Make a sauce or gravy with a basic flour roux and the strained liquid.

There are few steps, but many fewer than the classic.  It is good stuff.  Great cold weather cooking, as the oven will be on all afternoon.   
 

16 comments:

  1. Yum! Your Burgundy looks like a Bordeaux... ;) Hey, I can comment again!!! I enjoyed Sassybear's photos of your recent meet-up. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you. Another way that Julia would be disappointed at my not following the recipe. It was great fun meeting Sassybear and Jeffery.

      Delete
    2. Were your ears burning, Walt? We talked about you!

      Sassybear
      https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

      Delete
  2. Yum yum! Perfect wintertime eating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the season for long slow cooked stews and soups.

      Delete
  3. Sounds delicious. I guess you could also use an electric slow cooker and perhaps leave it on overnight. By the way, I would not chop up the vegetables "roughly". I would chop them in a gentile, civilised manner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If am in a brutal mood, I have a cleaver, sort of a kitchen hatchet.

      Delete
  4. I looked at the beautiful photo and then as I read my eyes rolled back in my head. A recipe. I’ll bet t was delicious. Me? I’ve been enjoying exquisite chocolates someone gave me. No cooking involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe Jerry can explore some of the foodie Friday posts. Safe travels.

      Delete
  5. I bet your kitchen smelled delicious all day!
    Is there something that could be used instead of wine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could use stock, or fruit juice. It will change the flavor balance, but certainly work. Liquid is essential to the slow cook process to keep things from burning.

      Delete
  6. Sounds great and very similar to the way I've made it in the past. My friend Riley made it the full-on Julia Child way on Christmas Eve and I have to say, that was the best I'd tasted. Julia was a cooking genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we should cook our way through the book, one week at a time.

      Delete
  7. Julia - French cooking; Diana Kennedy - Mexican cooking; Marcella Hazan - Italian cooking. Three very good chefs but fussy (anal?) about how it's done. I mean, how many pages did Julia devote to teaching how to make French bread?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I never have perfected french bread.

      Delete
  8. I look forward to cooking like this in my retirement! I now I shouldn't wait, but with a full time job and two households to manage (ours and my mom's) time is short.

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete