Monday, January 15, 2024

Moody Monday: What Do Retirement and Funerals have in Common


People say the kindest things about you. 

The night before I interviewed for the job at the ABA I had dinner with Marcie who was a mutual friend of Holly, the person who was leaving the ABA, creating the opening that I was interviewing for. She said, Holly had commented that her office was at the end of the hall, and she was left alone to do her work.  Marcie said, “if Holly died in her office no one would notice until she started to decompose.”  My thought was this sounds like the ideal place for me, I didn’t want to micromanaged (I have had a few of those jobs over the years.) When I first started, I thought I would work until they found me decomposing at my desk.  My work was my life. Over time things changed. 

Two things made me decide that retirement needed to happen. 

Back in 2015 I had tumor removed and a section of my spine rebuilt with titanium.  I came within millimeters of never walking again.  There is no long-term guarantee on the repair work, I want to make the most of life while I can.  Then in April of 2020 a colleague Lori died unexpectedly.  I had worked with Lori for a dozen years.  Being in the middle of COVID we organized a Zoom memorial service. I know she would have been deeply moved by what people thought of her and her work. I fear that she never knew how fond people were of her. But she was not there to hear it, and to let people know how much she appreciated what was being said.  

My colleagues organized a surprise retirement party for me, a large group of people in person and online.  They went around the room with people saying kind things about me, and about my work.  I was overwhelmed by the things people had to say.  The last department directors meeting was another round of people saying wonderful things, then a Montage video compilation arrived of videos of people saying wonderful things.  I never knew how deeply people felt about me. 

Over the years I have tried to do good work, to leverage my strengths, and to not step on toes that are at the end of the legs that go up the behind that I might need kiss tomorrow - to be nice to people.  Apparently doing my best work and trying to be nice to others worked.  And I was alive to hear that people appreciated what I did.  It was kind of like the round to eulogies at a funeral, but I was there to hear all of the kind words. 

Let people know you are retiring, don’t just slip quietly out the back door, retire loudly, and listen to the kind words people have to say.  Better now, than at your funeral.  I think everyone enjoyed the retirement comments more than they will my funeral, I know I enjoyed it more than I will my funeral.   


20 comments:

  1. Yes. A priest I know had a service to acknowledge the end of her active ministry. She exclaimed that, similar to a funeral or memorial service, people from all parts of your life came together. Unlike a funeral, you were able to actively participate with them, hear the stories (I don't think that any of us ever really know when or how we affect those around us), and also acknowledge and thank those who have supported and influenced us.

    Will Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is an episode of "Mrs. Browns Boys" where they hold a fake funeral for "Grandpa."https://youtu.be/hi7HILaubPc?si=lBlR7waXM3edLLJm

      Delete
  2. That retirement event made for you was something many people aren't lucky enough to have. So nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one of only two jobs that I left with more than a few hours (or minutes) notice, and it was the longest I ever spent at one job.

      Delete
  3. And you very much deserved this Sweetie! I was so happy to be a part of it. 😘

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know about your serous health episode back in 2015. I am glad you came out the other side - otherwise I would never have come across your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did good work and were nice to people! I am glad you were celebrated for that. We need more people like that right now. Congrats and enjoy your retirement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Off to a good start on the next chapter.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful farewell to your career as you say hello to this next step in your life. Hard work and kindness make long-lasting impressions on people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am much kinder to others than I was in the first half of my life.

      Delete
  7. That sounds like the perfect send off for you retirement. Now off you go into another phase of your life. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm torn about leaving quietly. I do NOT want a big party, nor do I want past colleagues crawling out of the woodwork to wish me well. I'd prefer to just end my last day, and walk out with a box of my stuff. I know it's nice to hear praise and appreciation from colleagues (or anyone for that matter) but I do feel there's a certain "forced-ness" to it, like speeches at funerals. Someone's leaving so you have to say something nice. On the other hand, I have been glad to share my feelings of gratitude with a handful of co-workers who left.

    I try to let my staff and peers know I appreciate them often, and always thank them for a job well done, get them small tokens of appreciation on birthdays and holidays, and acknowledge their "anniversary" dates with my unit or the agency. At this point, I think I know who likes and values and appreciates me, as they've made a point of letting me know that already.

    Bottom line, I'm good with a no-fuss exit. I won't sneak out, but I won't be looking for a grand exit. Just a simple "So long, and thanks for all the fish" will do.

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised by the retirement party, not what I planned, but grateful for the experience.

      Delete
  9. I have retired suddenly, abruptly and with very little notice a couple of times. But there's a way to hear all those nice things anyway. FACEBOOK! I've heard plenty of that b.s. on there over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may try to write a post about some of the job departures over the decades. The last four were orderly, the first four or five were not.

      Delete
  10. good for them for doing so for you! I am glad you got this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not something I planned or expected, but it was nice to experience.

      Delete