Monday, January 08, 2024

Moody Monday: A Commentary on Comments


I sometimes struggle with wanting to post comments on posts that I find are racist, or sexist, or political, or on religion.  

Often my comments are the first thought that comes into my mind when I read a post. Sort of an instantaneous recognition at first "Blink" - thanks to Malcolm Gladwell.  

Sometimes there is no first impression, but I often leave a comment just to let the author know I have been there and read what they took the time to post.  There are a couple of daily reads that I only randomly comment on - I should comment more often to reinforce the behaviour of posting (thanks to B.F. Skinner.) 

A comment I wanted to post recently and didn't because it would have probably been interpreted as rude was on the gender and sport is something like this. 

A person's biological gender has little to do with playing a sport. The division into men's and women's teams is a perpetuation of gender stereotypes and prejudices. We should do away with mens and womens teams and let the best players compete on the field of battle and who cares what is in their pants. If a tran-man can keep up, let him play, if a trans-woman can keep up, let her play.  

I have never experienced the feeling that my biological body didn't match my mind, but I have lived the experience of my sexual orientation not matching the societal norm. I have felt like an outcast, a missfit.  I have been discriminated against, bullied, made fun of, and felt like I was the other. And yet I know it was easier for me than my trans friends, because my gender expression matched my biology. 

Being trans is not about dressing in drag.  Drag is theater, or masquerade. Drag is putting on a show and having fun. Trans is about trying to make the body, fit the mind. Trans is emotional, and physical. Trans people fight to transform their bodies to be who they truly are. If the thought of surgery to change your body makes you shudder, you are probably not trans, if it brings on a sense of relief and happiness . . . a lifeline that makes life worth living. 

Trans adults have been around forever.  Often living and dying in distress, occasionally in history making history. But mostly living behind closed doors. 

Our Trans brothers and sisters need support, not ridicule.  Trans adults are at high risk of abuse, murder and suicide for simply trying to live a life where their mind and their body are in balance, or denying who they are - the closet of denial is a dark place.   

Maybe I should have posted this comment? 


20 comments:

  1. I think you should have too. Bravo!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being trans is not something I understand and so I leave it to the experts, such as psychologists and other sections of the medical profession. As for sport, I don't know and I leave that to those who do, as long as decisions are made sensibly and without moral or political judgement (haha, I made myself laugh as I typed that). As in your country, it is divisive subject here but not to extent as it is in your country. I think most people here are a bit like me in that we don't understand being trans, think it should not be a subject for politicians and let the experts do what they do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much is still based on "traditional gender roles" that are far out of date.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you put it up here so people can read it.
    Excellent, sir, spot on!

    I remember Chaz Bono's quote: "Gender is not what's between your legs, it's what's between your ears."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have to live someone's life, to understand how they feel.

      Delete
  4. Well you have posted it now! Everybody is different - even if they subscribe to certain tribes or stereotypes. Tolerance, acceptance and understanding are three of the best human traits but in me they do not stretch to child abusers, rapists or mass murderers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Redemption and second chances have limits.

      Delete
  5. One good post like this is worth a lot more than a single short comment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a great post. I would love to think that someday we'd live in a world where everyone would just be accepted for who they are. We are all different and unique, and that's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If everyone was like me, it would be a boring world

      Delete
  7. Bravo! Well said. I totally agree.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Sometimes I can say what I mean

      Delete
  9. People lately get so involved condemning things that they know nothing about or making judgements on things that are none of their business. I agree with your post and don't understand why we can't just let people try to live the best life they can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can change the world, one mind at a time.

      Delete
  10. One should never be afraid to say what one thinks but in a society seemingly as bloodthirsty as ours it can be dangerous. Still, I salute you for this well thought out post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one was edited a few times. It needed it.

      Delete