Thursday, January 18, 2024

The Thursday Ramble: Well I didn't screw this up after all


After 25 years of working on aging issues, I know most of the weird and obscure rules for Social Security, Medicare, or Medicaid; and where to find the answers I don't know. 

But I found the system intimidating, at times difficult.  This is complicated by my decision to retire a few months after I became eligible for health care under Medicare.  Knowing the rules, knew I had to start Medicare part A within months of being eligible, but I could delay Medicare Part B, until my work insurance ended.  Doing this saved me about $875. 

Knowing that it can be done, and actually getting it done, are two different things.  The system is set up for the normal rules, not the exception that only a few people know about, and try to take advantage of to save a few dollars. And in person help, from someone who may or may not know the rules, is difficult or impossible.  There is a waiting list to talk to a human being.  The chat-bots were unable to help.  I feared I had screwed it up.  It would have been an expensive mistake, like $1,000 a month mistake. 

Then it arrived, the magic card, showing the effective date of Part B, the day that my office medical insurance ends.  I did it, I maneuvered through the exception to the rule.  

If I had it to do over, I would have gone with the norm, not the exception.  The $875 was not worth the stress.  

I was afraid I was going to have to "go all lawyer on them."  Back in 2015 my health care providers were waiting for pre-approval from my health insurance, I was stuck in limbo for several days while they waited.  When I finally asked and was told why we were waiting, I got on the phone, said the magic words expedited appeal, and had an approval before the phone call ended.  As I explained it to the nurse in charge, "I went all lawyer on them, it usually works."  

Glad I didn't have to do that this time.  

13 comments:

  1. And if it's a headache for you, just imagine what it's like for those who don't know the nitty gritty. Glad you got it done and saved a chunk of change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did the same thing as you and breathed a sigh of relief when we got our cards with everything in order. Onward!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Going all lawyer" is not pretty but can be very effective. Glad it all worked out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are times when the training comes in handy

      Delete
  4. I love that saying! If it works, go for it.
    I didn't know about that Medicare issue when I signed up and I ended up paying a penalty because of it. I used an insurance broker to help with the supplemental insurance and so far the choices made are working well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I surprising number of people miss the turns in this road.

      Delete
  5. Lucky for you, you knew what you were doing! It's too complicated on purpose, I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could explore how it ended up this way

      Delete
  6. Working in personal and home care. I learn a lot about Medicare and our state Medicaid.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Finally! A moment of triumph based on all that education and experience. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am terrified of navigating healthcare after I retire.

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete