Saturday, January 13, 2024

The Saturday Morning Post: Food For Thought


I took the subway into the city, to Gallery Place, walked across the street to the National Portrait Gallery and spent two hours feeding my mind.  Art if wonderful, but pausing to read the curators notes and artists notes fed my mind.  How much time do we spend scrolling rather than thinking, even when spending time with family and friends?   


The National Portrait Gallery had portraits of all of the Presidents of the United States on display, in order.  And a few portraits of important others in the lives of Presidents.  Almost all are paintings, the styles have evolved over the years.  Norman Rockwell painted the portrait of Richard Nixon, the Obama's and Bill Clinton are in a very modern style.  For he-who-must-not-be-named they have an inkjet print. The accompanying description from the curators is amazingly honest.  The Smithsonian has this moment in history captured, bravo, stay brave.  By the way, conceding is not a requirement to losing. It is a courtesy, but refusing to do so merely shows you are rude, not that you didn't lose.  


 This was in a stairway landing, a moment in history.  I do hope the archivists saved a few of these to remind the world what the last three years have been like.  

Lots of food for thought, feeding the mind.  

17 comments:

  1. Thoughtful notes next to exhibits in art galleries can really enhance appreciation. You don't need a surfeit of writing - just brief pointers. The Tate Modern in London do this very well. I suppose it has become an art in itself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of these had some sort of social commentary, I found that helpful.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I need to do more of this, not that my time, is my time.

      Delete
  3. Creativity and enlightenment. And right in your own backyard. Some curators do a n exceptional job with their notes. Unfortunately, some write gobbledygook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once tried to convince Art to let me write for the gallery at Rollins, he was not impressed because I was not studying art history.

      Delete
  4. You are lucky to live near so you can visit whenever you want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to remember to get into the city more often. Next week I am going to the George Washington Presidential Library for lunch.

      Delete
  5. Wow, interesting and very thought provoking. I was somehow happy to hear his portrait was an inkjet print. You've hit on one of the reasons I spend so much time in museums. They give you so much to think about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some here in town that I have not been in.

      Delete
  6. Covid memorabilia will interest future generations, as the world discovered the old war propaganda motto, Keep Calm and Carry On. I'm sure archivists have been very busy with their Covid collections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be forever a part of our lives.

      Delete
  7. Lucky you. I love to see, The National Portrait Gallery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some amazing museums here. You have spectacular landscapes in your front yard.

      Delete
  8. I remember walking into one of the buildings of the National Gallery of Art once and being stunned by an entire room devoted to paintings by one very famous artist. Now I can't remember who it was but it still stuns me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That will happen, I remember a couple of those. One room that had nearly a billion dollars in impressionist masterpieces.

      Delete
  9. I do enjoy the visual arts. I live in a house that is much like a museum of all of my favorite things. And I enjoy walking through it, on a regular basis, looking at, admiring, and enjoying my collection of bits and bobs and items and action figures (including my Bob's Big Boy, thank you very much!) Might sound silly, but I have a deep appreciation for my home and the items in it...a testament of a hard work and a long life making myself happy. Sure, it's not quite a museum, but I don't have to wear pants and eating cheetos while wandering around is allowed.

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete