Monday, January 22, 2024

Moody Monday: Seeing the World Around Me

 


I moved to the Washington DC area, because I enjoyed being here.  There are a couple of dozen world class museums here, many of them free.  We have a good public transit system, and I live a 10 minute walk from a subway station.  

The first few years, I would run into the city on weekends, and see things.  At times I have walked or biked across the city on my daily commute. Then I settled into taking the train to the station directly below my desk. Coming and going with only a glimpse of the city from the train window as we passed through the airport, and went up and across the Potomac River (a view that almost always causes me to pause and look up.) A couple of times a year I would go into see a museum, but not really enough. I was seeing more of other places than I was of the wonders in my neighborhood. 

One of my goals this year, is to see more of the city. I am also concerned about becoming one of the retirees that falls into a habit of only leaving home to go to the doctor or grocery store.  Habits are formed by doing things.  So one of my commitments to a new habit is to go into the city at least once a week.  

The first week we were gone to NYC. The following week, I went into see the Portrait Gallery.  This past week I went out to Mt. Vernon for a book lecture, and spent half a day in the National Museum of African American History and Culture, one of the Smithsonian museums.  I had watched it being built, I had never been in it.  It was well worth the visit. 

With a couple of dozen museums in the area, at one a week, I will make the rounds a couple of times a year.  

If you want to form a new habit, you do it, by doing what you want to do repeatedly.  

This week, we are headed into the city to see the DC Auto Show at the Convention Center.  That will be a nice walkabout.  

18 comments:

  1. I've no idea what your city is like. Are there interesting and perhaps gritty areas, and I don't mean unsafe ones. But are there unsafe areas? I guess I mean daytime. I think we have an impression that your city would be very neat, clean and well maintained, but perhaps a little sterile?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never felt unsafe, yet there are areas with higher crime rates. Rising property values, has squeezed most of the poverty out into the suburbs, and with it the challenges of street crime. There are areas where I would be surrounded by people who are "not like me" but I don't feel that makes the area unsafe. The people there may fear me, more than I fear them, because I am not from around that neighborhood. There are area that feel urban, and not gentrified.

      Delete
    2. Thanks. Education is always good.

      Delete
  2. You live in an amazing place for stimulation and growth. The Museum of African American History is incredible, and it looks beautiful in the snow (from this distance).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my first time inside the museum. I will go back. The snow will melt off this week.

      Delete
  3. I think DC would be a perfect place for retirement because there is always something going on and so many museums; but you're right about getting up and going if you don't want to get stuck in a rut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where to today, I realized it is a monday.

      Delete
  4. As you say, travel and life are great adventures. Washington DC is full of so many opportunities and places to explore and your city is waiting for you. Be sure to take Mr. Penguin with you, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to move him into my smaller bag, that I take to the museums.

      Delete
  5. That is one of the newer museums that I haven't seen yet. I've read about it and I saw a short tour on the PBS News about a year ago. I will make sure I go the next time I'm in DC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Currently you need to book tickets ahead of time, I had no problem getting tickets the day before, but it is offseason. Let me know when you are in town.

      Delete
  6. That's a beautiful building! I think the last time I was in DC was when John F. Kennedy was president! I remember when we went past the White House and we saw a man raising the flag on top of the building. My parents told my little brother that was JFK up there and he believed it for many, many years! Thanks for bringing back that sweet memory to me today! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was here for the first time in 1977 or 1978. That would have been the Carter administration.

      Delete
  7. Great idea! Seeing new things keeps life fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was lucky enough to get to Washington several times and tried always to visit a museum. It is a city of great ones. The last time I was there I met my two sons for dinner in Georgetown. One son took me to a bar he worked at and then to the infamous steps that were shown in the movie "The Exorcist". No museums on that visit. Oh and another time some friends took us to dinner in Georgetown and walking back to their apartment we passed a bookstore owned by Larry McMurtry. Unfortunately it was at night and the store was closed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not seen the Exorcist steps.

      Delete
  9. I LOVE DC. I actually think that when my husband retires, we may move to either Alexandria or Arlington. We want to live in a place that has a good public transit system. The African-American museum is EXCELLENT. I have been twice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a great start to retirement life.

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete