Thursday, July 06, 2023

Thursday Ramble: A little bit to rebuild the environment

The Anthony Celebrezze put out the Cuyahoga River when it caught fire 50+ years ago.  It was not the only River to catch fire, industrial discharge created oil slick on the water, the oil was what caught fire. Discharging oil was illegal at that time, but the law was seldom enforced, and the fine was $50.  Even adjusted for inflation, it was cheaper to pump / dump in the River than to pay for disposal.  And the laws changed, and enforcement increased, and the fines went up.  And the River came back to life.  

The Environment is robust, it recovers, when we don't abuse it.  Treat the world well, or it will kill us off, so it can heal.  

Even today, industry including industrial agriculture are the largest source of chemical discharge.  Skipping showers, and recycling your aluminum cans for a lifetime, won't stop as much damage as a single coal fired power plant in one day.  

Still there are things we can do. 

I can remember when plastic shopping bags were introduced as a way to "save the trees."  Really it was a way to reduce the grocers cost by a few pennies per bag.  Trees regrow in a few years - tree farms are environmentally helpful- most plastic bags are made from petrochemicals that take millions of year to regenerate.  And let's face it plastic bags don't work well, for the most part we use them once and toss them away.  

A simple alternative, carry reusable shopping bags.  There is a stack of them in each of our cars, we use them, empty them, and return them to the cars.  They are always there when we need them.  They last - sometimes for years. They are stronger, hold more, are easier on the hands, and on the earth.  

I was at the farmers market last weekend, buying dill and white turnips from my favorite organic farmer, and before I could say "no, please don't" my purchase was stuffed in a plastic bag.  Granted it is a plant based plastic that will biodegrade, but I was standing there with two canvas bags.  I tossed the plastic bag as soon as I was home.  What a waste.  It probably cost Giovani 2-3-cents, I didn't want it, I didn't need it.  Simply ask, do you want that in a bag? Next time I will speak up faster and say, thank you, I don't need a bag.  

Limiting a shower head to 2 or 3 gallons per minute, is essential in the Colorado River watershed, here on the east coast, not really. The water that I would enjoy in my shower, flows out into the Atlantic, at a rate of millions of gallons every hour.  People living around the shores of the great lakes, will never lack fresh water. But Congress can't legislate different standards based on actual need, or at least they don't think they can.  If I could send a spare thousand gallons to friends in Phoenix I would.  But it seems to go there 750ml at a time, via Kentucky. And the good stuff has doubled in price in the past decade.

Oh well, I do my little part.  
 

16 comments:

  1. I remember those river and lake fires. A wake-up call. Sadly a lot of governments went back to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Great Lakes are much cleaner than they were in the 50's and 60's

      Delete
  2. Plastic bags are one of my biggest pet peeves ever above anything else and you're right they don't work half the time the damn straps break. I have been using my reusable canvas bags for ages. And it is amazing how quick nature can heal itself. Just look at that time in 2 years of the pandemic. The results were getting so amazing I was getting teary eyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The question is not will the earth survive, it is will human being survive.

      Delete
  3. There are many frustrations as we try to do the right things for this planet. It seems that we are all in a massive Catch 22 situation with regard to the environment. Our best is simply not good enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Industry, including industrial agriculture needs to change.

      Delete
  4. Prime example of why we need the EPA if only so water doesn't catch fire again!
    We recycle everything we can and use our own shopping bags at the stores; we try and do what we can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The plastic bag/save the trees business is a great lesson in not joining the first band the comes by on a wagon. The amount of time it took for reusable bags to catch on in this country is truly embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your neat bag of bags, I could never maintain that level of order, but I like it.

      Delete
  6. I also keep a stock of cloth bags in my car. I use them every time I go to the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have collected some interesting bags over the years, a good reason to travel more.

      Delete
  7. I am learning to take reusable bags with me to every store now. I've been using them at grocery stores for years but now they are needed everywhere because plastic bags have been banned by the government.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep bags in the car, and when I am not in my car, I usually have my messenger bag

      Delete
  8. Most of us try in our own, often quirky, ways. Long life bags in our cars work well for us. Where we get caught is when out without the car and make an unplanned purchase. We are just switching over in supermarkets here now to paper carry bags with handles, at a cost around 25c each. Recently plastic cutlery and straws have been banned and society did not collapse.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you! I try to do my part. It never feels enough but it feels Right.

    ReplyDelete