Wednesday, July 12, 2023

My World of Wonders, aka The Wednesday Ws: July 12th edition

What have I been up to? Work, YouTube watching, Walking on the treadmill, reading blogs.  

Who have I seen? Sweetie bear, the office, nothing new. 

What have I been cooking?  I made baked beans, potato salad, nice green salads.

Where have I been? Home, the gym, the mall for an indoor walk. 

What have I been taking photos of?  Not much, I need to work on that. 

When do I travel next?  Early August, coming up fast. 

What is irritating me? NBC has hired a retired professional cyclist as an expert on the Tour broadcast, that sounds like it is talking with a mouth full of mashed potatoes.  

What made me smile this week? Watching the Tour de France, I have favorites, and villians among the riders, it was a good week that brought me many smiles and a few evil cackles. 

What is pickling?  Another two pounds of garlic dills.  We had the first pint of the pickled beets, they were good.  I will make those again.  I need to pickle some more red onions.  I won't bother with pickled eggs again.  

What have I been reading?  Lots, I finished, "Is life to long" and "Essays After Eighty" and started Pageboy.  Essays After Eighty, by the late Donald Hall is extraordinary, carefully and well crafted prose - a pleasure to read.  

What is the big news? January 5, 2024 is a firm retirement date. 



 

14 comments:

  1. I thought retirement was going to be mid this year. You won't be one of those who just keeps extending?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had been saying the end of the year, this adds a week.

      Delete
  2. Tick Tock .... the day is coming!!! 🎉🎈🎉

    ReplyDelete
  3. Evil cackles are the BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I commented from the hospital must not have published. So exited about retirement day being set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, let me look in the spam filter. I hope this means you are home with the cats!

      Delete
  5. Homemade baked beans sounds very good. I had a craving for meatloaf and au gratin potatoes so I made that yesterday. I hated to use the oven with this heat going on but, a craving is a craving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was cooler for a couple of days, the perfect time to get some baking out of the way. A traditional 4th of July food for my family.

      Delete
  6. Just to check your comparison may I suggest that you fill your mouth with mashed potato and start talking about bicycle racing. Perhaps you could record this for your adoring readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always surprised when a sound test is not required, of a person hired to speak in public.

      Delete
  7. Looking forward to your upcoming travels. I've enjoyed your Cleveland stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With family, we will make it back to Cleveland from time to time. I love the west side market. The University Inn closed forever during COVID.

      Delete