Saturday, July 01, 2023

The Saturday Morning Post: Fast Bikes



I started riding bikes when I was about 8, a small bike, with hard rubber tires, that my sister had learned to ride on.  It was white, I don't remember the brand. It took a while on the rough gravel driveway for me to get a hang of it, to figure out that the secret was momentum, not balance.  A couple of years later, a Red Schwinn Typhoon came into my life, as a late birthday present.  Nearly 55 years later I still have it.  A 26 inch, single speed, coaster brake bike built like a tank in Chicago.  It's delivery was delayed by a strike in the factory in Chicago, soon after Schwinn started offshoring manufacturing.  

Riding a bike was limited freedom on the farm, limited by rough unpaved roads, and long distances.  Town was 4 miles away, and on those roads a bouncy dusty 40 minute ride.  

The first winter we lived in Florida, I bought a cheap 10-speed at KMart.  With paved streets, and sidewalks, my world opened up.  I had the only significant bike accident of my life on it, coming down a hill, at a fast pace, my brother turned across in front of me.  I went up and over landing hard on my back on the pavement.  The fork on my bike was broken, his wheel stay was bent by the impact.  

A couple of years later, I bought a nicer 10-speed, an orange one.  It had better components, was faster.  I rode it through the rest of high school and for a couple of years after.  Riding a bike, exploring the streets and sidewalks I learned so much about the neighborhood.  

In my late 20's I became hyper fit. Running, swimming, riding bikes. The reliable old schwinn outfitted with new tires and a new seat was ridden miles and miles.  

Buying new running shoes I saw a poster for a sprint series Triathlon, that was happening on my 30th birthday. I decided to give it a try.  I looked around, found a used 10 speed, a little heavy, and some said a size too small, it was affordable.  I remember two things, the start of the swim, and the finish of the bike segment. The man who finished just ahead of me, was celebrating his 80th birthday. 

I discovered there was a series of those races, around the central Florida area. I was hooked and did three seasons of triathlons - and had a place in the Sprint Series World Championship Race one year. I had changed jobs, and had a bit more money - I decided I wanted a really fast bike. 

Shopping was challenging, I had some idea of what I wanted, and how much I wanted to spend.  Several bike shops didn't take me seriously.  One point-blank told me that what I wanted was too much bike for me, and wouldn't let me test ride one.  I probably rode a dozen bikes, most of them were stiff, heavy, or simply clunky.  One morning I stopped in a new shop and there it was.  A Trek 1200 Aluminum.  It was a little more money than I was looking to spend.  The dealer was supportive.  He was honest, it is a handful, he said, "if you are serious about it, you will grow into it in a hurry, if not you will be back to trade it on something slower."  I took it for a couple of mile test ride. It was love at first ride, every shift was crisp and responsive, the brakes were amazing and the aluminum frame offered a smoother ride. The aerodynamic wheels and super thin tires provided snappy handling. If you are not ready for it, it is terrifying. Wrote a check and loaded it in the car.  I have ridden it probably 20,000 fast miles. I still have it almost 35 years later.  I have only ridden it a few times in the past 20 years, it still amazes me how fast and responsive it is.  

The Tour De France starts today. It combines two things I love, fast bikes, and French Countryside.  Someday I will be there to watch it thunder by. 

The photos above, were the Air Force Cycling Classic here in DC back in 2009.  The finish line was only a few blocks from where I lived while shopping for the condo.  

22 comments:

  1. I used to bike ride till my late 20's, then had no bike anymore, since I didn't really have anywhere to keep it when not in use. I not one of those city folk to put it in my apartment. Then I just took up jogging and long walks. But I'm dying to ride in a motorcycle side car!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SG always fantasized about a motorcycle with a sidecar... with ME in the sidecar. But he has this thing for curbs on the right side of the car.

      Delete
    2. Riding in a sidecar, or in the passenger seat for that matter, requires giving up the illusion of being in control.

      Delete
    3. ... which makes having the dear lad in the passenger seat a "colorful" experience.

      Delete
  2. My very old third hand bike is going out in the next hard rubbish collection. I won't be riding again even though your description of the Trek sounds exciting.
    Le Tour is wonderful to watch...on tv.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someday my riding days will be over,

      Delete
  3. I loved to ride my bike(s) as a kid. Then SG and I bought bikes when we lived in Marina del Rey. That bike path on the beach was heaven until the winter storms that year washed much of it away. Then it was living on Rock Creek Parkway in Georgetown. Heaven. After that... nada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Part of the challenge here is we live on top of a steep hill, coming up the front drive is a real challenge

      Delete
    2. Ooooo! Are there nice bike oaths in Nada?

      Delete
  4. We rode our bikes everywhere when I was growing up and I don't know why we stopped. I guess the car was more exciting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not to late to ride again

      Delete
    2. They say it's like riding a bike!

      Delete
  5. When you retire, go watch the Tour de France in person!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was a teenager, my bike was my freedom. I could ride anywhere I wanted to go. My parents asked me to stay in certain parts of town but I pretty much went wherever I wanted. It was pure freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always loved riding bikes. Growing up, my bike was my freedom, going wherever I wanted around town. Nowadays, I enjoy riding on the Miami Valley bike trails...don't have to deal with the stress of road traffic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traffic is terrifying here in the DC area. There are some good trails

      Delete
  8. It been ages since I rode a bike.
    Both of son who are in there 30's still ride bike.
    My youngest one has several bikes, even one of those fat tire bike.
    Coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. when in the passenger seat of a car I have to restrain myself from rolling down the window to put out my hand to pat the backside of a cyclist we are passing.

    ReplyDelete