Monday, July 03, 2023

Moody Monday: Chilling




The long lazy days of summer are upon us.  Time to chill.  I was trying to work late last week, and it seemed like half the world was taking an extended holiday, not at work.  

Our outdoor pool is open, I have been over once a couple of weeks ago, the water should be warm enough for more than a chilling dip by now.  I really should use the pool more. 

For our department staff meetings, I always send out three short questions in advance that everyone answers in the meeting, two of them are always about work, the last one is something fun or personal.  Last week I asked, tell us about a memorable 4th of July (US Independence Day.)  One of our interns told about making Jello Shots for a bunch of friends he worked with, and doubling up on the shots part.  Their boss had scheduled a 7:30 AM staff meeting on July 5th.  They showed up, hungover or still drunk from the night before.  They were virtually the entire staff, and figured A: the boss was an ass for scheduling a 7:30 AM meeting for the day after a holiday, B: he wouldn't fire all of them.  Despite much screaming by the boss, no one was fired, though all of them quit before the summer was over. Assumption A was correct.  

I need to remind myself, to chill, and enjoy the slow days when they happen.  I put in enough long and challenging days to balance them out. Some @$$ has scheduled a 5:30-6:30 PM meeting next week, another 10 hour day.  

Thinking back over my 45 years in the workplace, I have long had this crazy dedication to work.  Being there, doing the job.  Maybe it led me to where I am at, but I have also been tossed aside without regard to my dedication to the company. 

Looking back, I should have chilled, found a cool place in the swamp, or a warm place in the sun more often.  

17 comments:

  1. Looking back, I think I only worked for the vacations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the end we are all just pegs in holes and there are no medals for dedicated service. When you go to the pool, remember to wear your Homer Simpson swimming shorts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept expecting loyalty to be returned.

      Delete
  3. I have always had a good work ethic; it's just in me, I guess.
    I have a co-worker who asked my boss if, when I retire or if I leave, could she take over my duties, and he said, "If you want Bob's job, you have to do it like Bob."
    I thought that was nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it was easy, anyone could do it

      Delete
  4. "In the private sphere, you work to put money in other people's pockets. In the public sphere, you work to make other people look good." Alas, all too true! Advancing other people's rewards is the key similarity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over the past 25 years, I have made a difference in the lives of others.

      Delete
  5. Yes, very few places collapse when one 'indispensable' or 'irreplaceable' employee leaves. As for thanks, lol. At least I received a Longines watch, but that was for length of service, not praise.Unfortunately it was engraved, so I can't hock it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will throw myself a party when I retire, as the Director, it is in my budget.

      Delete
  6. At my work, the President unexpectedly declared today a holiday for all staff. Since I don't work on Fridays, I'm having a five-day weekend. It's been great so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We often get an extra day a couple of times a year, we knew about this one a month or so ago, so people could makes plans. I am enjoying a lazy day.

      Delete
  7. Every work has his own difficulties. There are good works with good Boss, and there are bad works with bad Boss. Every person have his own way.

    Have a nice month of July. And a really good summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what sort of Jello shots?

    ReplyDelete