Thursday, July 13, 2023

Thursday Ramble: Coastal stories




Today I did a random roll back through the photo archive and landed on these two.  Taken at a small park, along the Pacific Coast north of San Francisco.  We had been in SF for a couple of days for a meeting of a board I was on.  Cousin Joan picked us up from the hotel and we went north, out across the Golden Gate Bridge and along the coast.  She had someplace in mind of lunch, without reservations, we ended up a little farther up the coast for a fun lunch, I had Oysters.  

Where the little park was at that I took these photos, there was a World War II era bunker, a gun emplacement. It was a little surprising to see.  To realize that there was a genuine fear of invasion on the west coast.  

Here on the east coast, the primary concern was submarines, and there was active submarine and anti-submarine warfare along the east coast.  Just north the Kennedy Space Center, there is a national park and seashore.  Periodically the storms will uncover the shell of a German U-boat that was sunk, and washed up on the beach. The staff at the park are always fast to close off the area, and reburry it.  Only once in my 20 years of hanging around there did I see parts of it sticking out of the sand.  Reminders of the past, in the shadow of our space program. 

While I was living in Florida there was a large exodus from Cuba, thousands of people left the island on small boats and makeshift rafts.  The currents pulled the rafts up the east coast, the Coast Guard would intercept them, and pick up the survivors.  There were so many rafts that they couldn't retrieve them all, so they would mark them with a red or bright pink X indicating that all of the people were off the raft, and leave them to drift.  Dozens of them washed ashore on the beach just north of the space center.  Over the years, I have regretted that I didn't take photos (it was in a period when I was not taking a lot of photos, and decades before phones had cameras,) or a souvenir,  a makeshift oar to show the length to which people will go to escape an intolerable system, and seek a new and better life.  

Well I am much happier with this than the first ramble I wrote, about life and death - it was depressing me as I wrote it. 

20 comments:

  1. Hmm, I remember reading something about Californian coastal parks.
    I don't think your west coast was ever attacked, so clearly the defences worked against the Japanese.
    Cuban refugees have made a great impact on the US, some good and some not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the islands in Alaska was occupied and there was a nasty battle for control. The California coast was difficult to reach.

      Delete
  2. It's a good job that you now have a retirement date as towards the end of this blog ramble you spelt "or" with two "r's". By next January there will probably be three or four "r's"! How interesting to find an old WWII bunker north of San Francisco - I never would have imagined that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Retirement won't improve my spelling.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for not talking about death today. I love your memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I read what I write, it tells me alot about my frame of mind.

      Delete
  4. Before he deployed to the Pacific, my father-in-law flew in a PBY Catalina along the Florida coast looking for German subs. They had quite a few sightings that needed to be investigated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of what they saw was classified, and kept from the public eye to avoid panic.

      Delete
  5. Nice photos -- looks like it was a foggy morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the 15 minutes we were there, a heavy fog rolled in, it was a surreal experience.

      Delete
  6. And people wonder why I love being near bodies of water or the beach and coast. Just so relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could live with that view, I can't afford it, but I would like it.

      Delete
  7. I recognized the California coast instantly; those are some of my favorite spots from when I lived out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An amazing place. Joan is now in Palo Alto, we had dinner with her in Cleveland last January.

      Delete
  8. The California coast north of San Francisco is so beautiful. It's been a while since I've driven it but the memories of the beauty stick with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a post coming up about driving south along the coast.

      Delete
  9. I would love to take a trip up the California coast. One of my wish list trips.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoy the bay area.
    Coffee is on and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pacific coast is very different than most of the Atlantic coast.

      Delete