Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Travel Tuesday : Soloing


This was taken, hanging off the outside of a cable car in San Francisco, based on the photos in the file, it was a solo trip.  I was there to speak at a conference, work travel.  Most of my work travel has been alone.  I have done a fair amount of solo travel to see family. My parents lived out the last of their lives in Florida, and I would fly or drive down for holidays or just to spend time.  I still have two brothers in Florida (at least I did the last time I checked Facebook.)

It was really work travel that got me into the mode of traveling alone.  And over the past 20 years I have done a lot of it.  It was weird at first, being alone, being in charge, no one to blame or help when things go awry, and they will.  But I came to enjoy it.  There were a few times, when being alone away from home got to me, times when I wanted my sweet bear to be there.  

Leisure travel, we almost always do together.  We have accompanied one another on a lot of work trips, the best conference to attend is your traveling companions' conference.  They are tied up in meetings, you get to go explore.  We both enjoy doing that.  

A few times when Sweetie bear had work travel to Europe, we have traveled there separately either because of differences in schedule, or because I was traveling on frequent flyer mile free seats, and he was traveling on seats someone paid for. Often I had better connections than he did.  Then there was the latest trip to Rome, I went from DC, to Detroit, Detroit to Philly, met him in Philly and flew to Rome.  He went from DC to Philly and Philly to Rome. I couldn't get that connection on free seats. And my bag missed the connection in Detroit.  

Last week I did a family obligation trip. My first solo travel since before the pandemic.  It was nice, and also a little alone.  




19 comments:

  1. I don't mind at time traveling alone....but these days...when traveling any great distance I'm not sure I want to anymore. And I wouldn't even consider abroad alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The South American house boys are calling

      Delete
  2. Anonymous7/12/2022

    This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7/12/2022

    Two letters wrong makes all the difference. Take two.

    I've never travelled alone. It is good to have someone to blame, but that is usually me.
    "at least I did the last time I checked Facebook". Lol, but not really. Someone has to make the effort. Why not you try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have enjoyed a mix of solo and together, I am starting to lean towards together.

      Delete
  4. I don't mind traveling alone if that's the way it works out, though I prefer having Carlos with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More and more, I want sweetie bear with me

      Delete
  5. Traveling alone or with someone -- both have their merits and disadvantages.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could never travel alone. I need someone to take charge and guide me, else I'm completely frozen with anxiety and fear. Fortunately, I can be led almost anywhere, by almost anyone.

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Travel for work is how I learned to travel alone. I spent almost 10 years traveling for work, flying in on Monday and home on Friday and sometimes staying in place or going somewhere else. I learned to love it and started doing leisure travel by myself. I've enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My work travel is nearing an end

      Delete
  8. I enjoy travel, regardless if it's solo or with others. I enjoy solo because I can see what I want to see, go where I want to go on my own time. I also enjoy sharing the travel experience, seeing a place through other peoples' eyes. Both are good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been lucky to have traveled so much, I still need to get to Idaho and Wyoming.

      Delete
  9. For some reason this made me tear up a little. My glucose levels are probably through the roof!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wrote a comment this morning. It has disappeared. It was brilliant. This one is not. But I do love that cable car photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me see if you are in comment jail

      Delete
    2. Blogger truly ate it, can't find it

      Delete