Monday, October 29, 2018

Well That Worked - Again





I generally don't talk about my work on the blog. 

One of several projects I am responsible for is producing the National Aging and Law Conference.  2018 was my fifth year.  As you can see, the conference was last week.  It is a great relief to have the conference finished for this year.  It was a success! 

In moving the conference planning folders to my travel computer last week, I realized that I had created 661 files for the conference.  Now that is only about a-third of the files, it does not include registration, continuing education accreditation, or conference materials.  The book produced for the conference is 1801 pages this year.  We had 4 plenary sessions, and 33 workshops in 6 time slots, over 80 speakers, over 2 1/2 days.  Attendance was about 230 people. Off slightly from the year before, but still respectable.  

I can look at things and find the 5 or 6 details that were missed, but if no one else noticed, it really does not matter.  The hotel staff and AV staff did a great job. I was worried about the hotel, but at the last minute the key person became organized, and if she missed something she was responsive to fixing it.  The food was good, the bartender generous with the pour. The speakers were well prepared. There was a buzz in the rooms, it was a success. 

Every year, at some point, I say "I am never doing this again!"  I made it past that melt down, now it is "I am only doing this one more time!" 

Planning for 2019 started in May.  Next year, the opening reception is on Halloween. Should I go as the Devil or Grim Reaper?  

5 comments:

  1. Boy that is a hell of a lot of work!!!! I think your only option is the Grim Reaper dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the grim reaper. which hotel did you use? and all you had to do was roll outta bed to be there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crowne Plaza in old town Alexandria. I stayed two nights, in a suite with a million-dollar view.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on surviving... and succeeding. I don’t know for sure, but The Grim Reaper MIGHT be the wrong image for the head of a conference on aging.

    ReplyDelete