Friday, October 19, 2018

My Commute


My first real job was in Orlando, working for a home building company.  I was constantly on the move, we had 5 or 6 projects going on in two counties.  There were several years were I drove 40,000 miles without leaving a three county area. During the 15 years I worked for builders I lived where I wanted to - the job site changed at the whim of management.  Sometimes I was close to home, usually I was 30-60 minutes away.  The first year we lived in Kentucky I worked 2 miles from home, an easy commute, even with poorly designed streets and stupid drivers.  Then I commuted to law school for three years, 82 miles from our garage to the parking garage at school.  After law school I worked 4-5 miles from home, a drive that typically took 30+ minutes due to a poorly designed road system and the above mentioned worst drivers in the eastern half of the USA (even worse than Maryland and that takes some doing.) I grew to hate the commute, I dreamed of living in a place with mass transit, of sitting back and reading and not having traffic and idiots to contend with.  When I was offered the job in Washington DC, I was thrilled, I said yes on the spot.  I rented for a year a block from the Crystal City Metro station, then bought a condo a 10 minute walk from the Huntington Metro station.  On the other end the station is 8 stories below my desk.  

I love my commute.  The subway system has its moments of being dysfunctional.  But at its worst, it still beats fighting traffic and idiot drivers.  

Do you love your commute or hate it? 

8 comments:

  1. Well, my commute now is less than a 1-minute walk to the beach each morning for coffee. I love it!!! But I did always prefer my public transportation commutes over my driving commutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hated mine so much, I quit for good!

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
  3. mine is 7 mile drive (one way) in the opposite direction from traffic; takes 10-15 minutes. if I took public transportation to work, the commute would be 60-90 minutes due to poor routing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Metro... making the world a better place to live in (when it doesn't catch on fire).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it now. It's the first time in all my years working I don't have a hour or more commute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My commute, for the most part, is from room to room. It can be quite dangerous because of two ten pound dogs being underfoot, one who suffers from road rage when he is stepped on. Oh, the humanity!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When Metro is having a bad day, it falls over and then catches on fire.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am OK with mine as it gives me time to hear my beloved podcasts. So I am grateful .

    ReplyDelete