Saturday, October 27, 2018

Food



I was out at Mt Vernon recently, walking through the gardens listening to people.  I surprised at people's inability to identify the food that was growing in front of them.  It is late season, so the obvious things like tomatoes and peppers are pretty much gone.  Squash, okra, beets, carrots, and herbs rosemary and thyme are still plentiful.  I was surprised that these were so exotic on the land, that people didn't recognize them unless they were in plastic bags in the market.  I am glad a grew up on a farm, glad I have grown gardens.  If I won Mega Millions, I think I would buy a farm and hire a few gardners (it is pretty, but so much work!) 

Should schools teach gardening?  


3 comments:

  1. Well, I dont know about a whole gardening class, but it could be included in a semester class like Home Ec......if they still taught. Bir mistake cuts classes like art music and Home Ec. These kids will be cultureless. Meanwhile my aunts garden, her herbs are still growing like weeds. Which means her Thanksgiving dinner will be DELICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some schools, even cit schools do have gardening classes or clubs. I think it’s great. I must admit I don’t recognize many of the crops I might see. Jerry, farm-raised, can usually immediately identify anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can recognize many but not all veggies & herbs and plants. and I grew up in the city!

    ReplyDelete