Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Spo and Someone



I stopped in Phoenix on the way to California.  Adding the weekend in Phoenix added a lot of enjoyment to what would have otherwise been a 5,000+ mile trip for two hours of work. 

I met Dr. Spo and Someone, also known as Michael and David for drinks on Friday evening on their way to the Opera, had brunch with Michael on Sunday, went to the Ballet at this grand old theater downtown Phoenix, then we had drinks and snacks after the show.  They have a hectic life, lots of work, lots of cultural activities.  But they always have a moment for a visit from an out of town flightless waterfowl.  I wish I lived closer, but it is nice to visit when we can.  

While I was in Phoenix, I had breakfast with a lawyer friend.  Her mother has dementia, she just recently moved her mother involuntarily to a structured living environment.  It is not an easy time for her.  The good news is mom, seems to be adjusting, but is still not happy at having been uprooted.  

I also met a third cousin - I didn't know existed until recently. Let me see how are we related, my grandfather on my mother's side, was her grandfather's brother (it was a huge family, over a dozen kids spread over 20+ years.)  Her father died recently just shy of 101st birthday.  We had a long lunch, still missing big parts of who we are from having never met and then went to visit her mother.  We spent an hour digging through a box labeled - old-old-photos.  Pictures of my grandfather's family - identifying my great-great grandmother who I have a couple of photos of.  There is a photo of my grandfather running a dragline for the WPA during the depression years, kept his family from going hungry (for the most part - my mother's early years were difficult.) 

I need to spend more time in Spo-Ville. 

When you are passing that way, you should buy Michael and David dinner, they are great fun.  

4 comments:

  1. I hope your cousin sends you copies of all those pictures. It sounds like a nice way to spend a weekend with spo and someone and your cousin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a LOVERLY pix of spo and his someone. those 2 are made for each other, just like you and sweet bear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet a good time was had by all. And a handsome group of men I must say.

    ReplyDelete