Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Travel Tuesday: Photo Dump Wyoming

I stayed the night in a Hampton Inn in Laramie, Wyoming. The next day I was driving west, nearly across the state from east to west, to take US 30 across the corner into the southeast corner of Idaho.  It is a long drive but I had all day, the default route is Interstate 80, a boring and busy route.  The evening before I looked at Google Maps, and asked myself, is there an alternate route, most likely on the old roads that pre-date in the expressways. There is, hwy 130 runs from Laramie, south of the interstate, a little longer but it looked interesting.  I made notes. The next morning Ms. Garmin was not being helpful, I pulled off and did a quick search on my phone, confirming that I was a block from the left turn that would put me on the right road.  What I didn't know was how spectacular the route would be.   





Yes, that is snow on the mountains, on August 1st. 




Fun but underpowered for climbing mountains. 

The average altitude is about 6,000 feet, at nearly 11,000 feet the climate and terrain had changed. 


I knew enough about altitude to walk slowly.  A couple from Florida ventured down to the water, and tried running back up the hill.  She was standing and talking clearly after a few minutes on the ground in a heap.  I was reminded to take it easy and get myself to a lower altitude. 




















 

15 comments:

  1. Spectacular. That altitude can put you in the if you’re not used to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I was surprised by the altitude and took it nice and easy.

      Delete
  3. There is such stark beauty in your country.
    That's a Nissan badge on the underpowered car.
    I am not sure there is anywhere in Australia where you could suffer from altitude sickness. Our mountains are very eroded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Nissan was surprisingly underpowered on steep slopes.

      Delete
  4. I give you kudos for visiting all these states. I never had any desire to visit any of those Midwestern states. I seem to stick mostly to the East Coast and West Coast and that's it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a lot of in-between, in-between, parts of it are very boring.

      Delete
  5. The road less traveled made some unforgettable memories for Travel Penguin. Congrats on all 50!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous photos ... the road less traveled always seems to be the best bet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice drive, and not crowded

      Delete
  7. The old routes are the most scenic, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A long and winding road, very pretty.

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous scenery. It's amazing what you can see when you take the roads less traveled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are lots of back roads left to explore

      Delete