Monday, September 18, 2023

Moody Monday: I Can See Light At The End of The Tunnel


Metrorail, the subway system here in DC, is going to close three stations in mid-December for three weeks for some critical repair work, including the station that is about 6 floors directly beneath my office.  This is going to make it very difficult for one of my team to make it to the office, prompting me to look at meetings scheduled for the last of the year.  I cancelled the meeting between Christmas and New Years, and moved the first meeting in January to the end of the week, my intended last day of work, and moved it to a lunch meeting.  I have set the end post for my job, turn in the computer and keys, and go out for a long lunch.  (For the person impacted by the closure, I recommended that she telecommute for three weeks, go spend time with her parents over the holidays. Her parents are always eager to see their granddog.) That felt good, and sad at the same time.  I will put on a brave face, but I will grieve the change.  I think it is healthy for me to recognize that.  

Other than a new training commitment I agreed to late last week, all of the materials for the trainings between now and the end of the year are done.  An hour of training, requires 4 or 5 hours of preparation (more if detailed written materials are required.)  I have 8 training presentations in the next 6 weeks, that is a lot of prep.  It is nice to see the hard part done.  

In preparing for one of the presentations, I explored a new issue.  I am still learning.  I learn more from teaching than I do from attending training.  I love it when someone asks a question and I pause and think, I have never thought of the issue in that way. 

We had a board meeting last Friday.  I left my two staff attorneys in charge of the agenda, preparing and presenting most of the content.  It was good.  It was different in ways than what I would do, but what I did was different than what Charlie did before me.  They are the future, the light at the end of the tunnel.  

I settled on the end for next springs grand adventure, and booked airline tickets. Paris to London, and London to DC. The last leg on an A380, riding an A380 is another bucket list item.  

Maybe it is the fresh pastry this morning, but I feel that my mood is improving.  I can see clearly now, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  

   

19 comments:

  1. Could it be all you need is a fresh pastry every morning?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I am low on those essential pastry vitamins

      Delete
  2. Has the hiring search for your replacement begun?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet, it will be an internal search, it won't take long

      Delete
  3. I'm sure retiring will be bittersweet. If we hate or love a job, we have done it so long, it becomes a huge part of our life, especially if it is something we are passionate about and good at, and love, like yourself. But I don't see you have any issues with it, and you will fill the time I surmise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An interesting waive of sadness when I scheduled that last meeting. But fun times are ahead. That is a Friday, we leave for an adventure on the Sunday.

      Delete
  4. It's good to know you are in a better head space.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I imagine the sadness of leaving a long-term job will be difficult, but I know you'll fill it with travel and photos and stories that will entertain both you and us, which is a good thing.
    I agree about the pastries ... better than vitamins.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's gonna be a bright (bright) bright (bright) sunshiny day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that mural in your photo. It's a different style of painting and very effective.
    I'm impressed that you have purchased to airline tickets already. I'm traveling next month and still haven't gotten my ticket. I need to get busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used Delta frequent flyer miles on British Airways, for the best deal on free seats, if pays to be early. Domestic ticket prices have dropped on some routes in the past few weeks.

      Delete
  8. I never been in subway.
    Coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a nice way to get around - especially in large busy cities

      Delete