Monday, September 11, 2023

Moody Monday - Well Dr. Freud


So how am I doing? It is probably important to stop regularly and ask that question. A little critical self analysis.  

I am busy, but consistently crossing gotados off the list.  Google is telling me gotados is not a word. It is short for things I got to do.  I am far from caught up, but moving steadily. 

I have started the process of signing up for retirement, a multi step process, I need to keep chipping away at.  

Four people have told me, I am working too much, and I should chill before my head explodes.  I am reminding myself, and others that I have limits, boundaries. Then I wake up early, log on to work early, then work late, I missed my treadmill-hour one day last week because work just kept coming in. Who schedules meetings for 9 AM or 4:30 PM?  

For a couple of years, I reminded my sweet bear that he was not the saviour of the department he retired from, now he is reminding me of the same.  We put a part of ourselves into our work.  It matters, we believe in what we do, and why it is done. We worry about it, and sacrifice for it.  But work is not a sensate being, it does not always return our love. Business is largely a matter of the numbers, and accounting has no heart.  

I am breaking a couple of unwritten rules at the office, collaborating and sharing risk and reward with other departments.  Increasingly each department is seen as a separate business, with its own budget, that lives and dies on it's own numbers.  I keep encountering questions about a plan to split projects with another department.  What if the return to the department is not exactly proportional to the effort. We could be making a profit that shows on someone else's ledger at the end of the day.  We are all a part of the same whole.  A rising tide floats all boats.  I have grown weary of the numbers.  I won't miss that part of the job. I hate that part of the job. 

So how is my mood? Overstressed, obsessed.    

17 comments:

  1. I used to overstress and over obsess and over work. And is worth it? Yes, I take pride in my work and jobs I've had, but once, a good co-worker once said, "Give 100% and not an ounce more within our scheduled hours. Is it ever really appreciated? And if you do they take advantage." Now I heed that advice.

    And I adore those rabbits!!!!!! Wherever did you get them or see them???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bunnies are in a shop window on King Street.

      Delete
  2. With regard to work, we are all just pegs filling holes. When we depart , there will be someone else there to fill the hole. None of us are indispensable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you could let go a bit more. You don't want to suffer burnout in your last few months there. Just know you've done phenomenal work and have had great success. These final months don’t change that. Listen to J. I LOVE those rabbits. We must be able to find a metaphor in those two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bunnies seemed to be engaged taking advice from one another.

      Delete
  4. Take it easy man and wind down to retirement. The last thing you want to do is retire with heaps of work matters on your mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could start saying, your problem now.

      Delete
  5. The end of the job is near, don't let it overwhelm you now.
    Pass off some of those gotados to others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never have learned to delegate.

      Delete
  6. Love that photo of the rabbits. The glasses make them look intellectual somehow. Sorry to hear that work is becoming all-consuming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I almost left home without my glasses this morning.

      Delete
  7. I know that feeling. I had it when I retired from the banking industry. I find that my post retirement work isn't as stressful. I don't feel stressed by work any longer which is a good thing....I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am getting closer to finding out.

      Delete
  8. I like that word, "gotados." Try and give your self some grace. I know it is hard to let go as I just retired, but start letting go. It will help when the final day does come.

    ReplyDelete