Monday, September 25, 2023

Moody Monday: Job Description for the Future


I read a book recently that I didn't really like, but there were a couple of take aways - there always seem to be. One concept was if you have spent your entire adult life with a job, a set of responsibilities and expectations, you may lack direction when you don't.  Hence my quest to draft a job description for after January 5th, 2024.  Who am I, what do I need to do, what do I want to do? 

My job will be to become more involved in my community, I will no longer have the excuse of things happen that conflict with my work schedule, and when I am not working I need some downtime.  I want to participate in more community activities, to contribute the greater good of the place I call home. 

I want to shop and cook differently.  We shop the way our mothers did, with one major shopping run once a week (for my mother it was often every other week, with a freezer full of beef.) I want to shop every two or three days, looking for what inspires me and cooking fresh.  I want to be more creative, to practice some of the master arts of the kitchen. 

I want to travel, some purposefully, some randomly.  I will take trips with detailed plans, and plan trips that take form as they are progressing.   

I want to become more involved in the arts.  I need to take a class or two a year, to practice new arts, and to pick-back-up painting, and of course to take lots and lots of photos.  

I will continue to read, maybe even finding my way into my local library, and continue to write.  

When I wake up and can't think of what to do today,  I will come back and reread this post.  

19 comments:

  1. This all sounds great. And may you enjoy some moments of resting on your laurels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to walk more, my laurels are getting a little large

      Delete
    2. Large laurels are much more comfortable to rest on.

      Delete
  2. You have so many plans for when you retire. I can't see much chill time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We experienced retirees could provide some useful advice. At present it is as if you plan to make your retirement like work - filled and purposeful, never a dull or empty moment. But retirement is different from work and we should not feel guilty if it does not hum with busyness all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying to avoid being bored, or settling in front of the TV.

      Delete
  4. See, I told you you would come up with a plan. I think the key to retirement is to find your place and stay active in some role.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to sit and decompose into the recliner while the TV kills my brain cells.

      Delete
  5. I like your plan; I hope to volunteer more. The best thing is staying active.

    As an old Ellen DeGeneres joke goes: My grandmother started walking 5 miles a day when she was 65. She just turned 80 and we have no idea where she is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know where I am going, but if I keep moving I will get there.

      Delete
  6. Your retirement plans are great! I'm excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find myself saying "that will be your problem" more and more

      Delete
  7. That sounds like an excellent plan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The best retirement advice that I ever heard was " do not take on anything new for the first six months." The idea is that you use the first six months to get to know yourself again, do one or two specific things that you but were never able to, and decide what is now important to you and how you are going to live. A history of volunteer work and commitment to the community before retirement gives you a strong foundation upon which to build.

    Whatever you decide will be perfect. The only wrong answer includes the word "box of wine."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a couple of trips planned in the first six month.

      Delete
  9. This is an inspiring post. I need to write my own version.
    I came here via Maddie!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete