Friday, September 15, 2023

Freestyle Friday Take Two

Michigan is one of the five great lakes, so where is the truth in 4 out of 5 great lakes prefer Michigan? Lake Michigan borders the state of Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, and Wisconsin.  Lake Huron is between Michigan and Canada.  Lake Superior touches Michigan, Minnesota, and Canada. Lake Erie borders Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York and Canada. Lake Ontario is between New York and Canada, it is the only one of the great lakes that does not touch the state of Michigan.  Now I get it. 

Well what about Lake St Clair, it is between Michigan and Canada, and might make this 5 out of 6. Despite it being large for a lake, it is not listed by most geographers as one of the great lakes, more of a wide spot in the river.  

The first time you see them, especially at ground level, the great lakes are a bit surprising. They are really inland freshwater seas.  Gouged out of the landscape during the last ice age, they are simply massive.  Not in comparison to the Atlantic or Pacific oceans, but as large as some of the salty seas. 

I have seen 4 out of 5, or 5 out of 6 of the great lakes.  I have yet to see Lake Superior. How can I know if it lives up to its name if I have not seen it?  A visit there is on the list for a year from now, a driving trip around the great lakes to see a few unseen places, and attend the long delayed wedding of a dear friend.  


 

16 comments:

  1. I think you should sail up!!!!!

    Never saw them, But we did spend summer in the Finger Lakes once and the Thousand Islands many times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. South America(ans) but not lake Erie?

      Delete
  2. Thanks for figuring that out. I missed the point.

    I’ve only seen 3 of 5. Missed out on Superior and Huron. I swam a chilly Lake Ontario.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of them are too cold for me to swim in.

      Delete
  3. That sounds like a great trip to make. Visiting Lake Superior must be preferable to visiting Mother Superior.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lake Superior is the only Great Lake I've been near.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should get there next September.

      Delete
  5. I have only seen Lake Michigan up close while landing in Chicago to change planes. But I love the bumpersticker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up about 40 miles from Lake Huron,

      Delete
  6. For your Lake Superior trip, a drive to Pictured Rocks National Lake Shore and then to the Soo Locks would be a fun adventure. We have a friend who lives on Lake St. Clair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a car ferry that crosses from Michigan to Wisconsin, then north to see Lake Superior, across to the Locks (I have never been in the Upper Peninsula) and south across the Bridge, the wedding in on Lake Michigan just north of the Indiana state line.

      Delete
  7. That sounds like a great goal. I hadn't thought about the great lakes. When I was working in Chicago, I had a view of Lake Michigan right out my apartment window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be in Chicago in October for a couple of days

      Delete
  8. As long as we don't go to Superior in November, we'll be OK; you know what they say about Superior in November...

    ReplyDelete