Thursday, September 14, 2023

Thursday Ramble: On Photography


I have my grandfather's camera from about 100 years ago. They were married in 1926, and I think he bought it when they were courting.  A folding Kodak Autographic.  The film that was made for it, had a paper backing like a 120 roll film.  On one end of the paper on each frame, was a carbon strip facing the film, you could open a slot on the back of the camera and use a stylus to write on the film, that would then come out as words on the print. The autographic film was discontinued, then eventually the film for it all together was discontinued.  It was a sophisticated bit of kit in its day.  My grandfather being the first in a line of "stingy bastards"* bought it used in a pawn shop in Detroit.  I also have a pocket watch he bought the same way. 

My first camera was a Kodak instamatic, that used 126 film cartridges. The series of was the first with a drop in film cartridge.  No film to thread into a take up spool, foolproof.  Also very wasteful, the cartridge was 100% disposable, to get the film out for processing you broke the cartridge snapping it into three pieces.  The 110 pocket cameras used the same concept in a much smaller size.  126 film was the same width as 35mm, 110 was 16mm.  I don't think I ever owned a 110 camera.  

For a year or so, I used on old 35mm Argus rangefinder that had been my father's.  It was a post war design, solidly made, but of modest quality.  He was using a Canon Ftb, 35mm single lense reflex.  The Canon was a great camera. 

I bought my first serious camera when I was 14, a Konica Autoreflex T3.  It had an early automatic exposure system, and so-so optics.  I used it for a year or two, then upgraded to a top of the line Canon F1. Then I started collecting lenses.  The F1 was an amazing machine, fast, solidly built. A decade later it was joined by a AE1, with a power winder and even more lenses.  I used those for several years.  Then traded the lot for my first Nikon, in the waning days of film.  I asked about digital and the honest answer was that digital was not really ready for prime time, but it was coming.  I used the Nikon film camera for several years, the first trips that my sweet bear and I took to Europe I used it.  I dropped it, it landed lens first on a stone floor in the Louvre, and broke the lens.  The next morning I want to a camera store across from the hotel and bought a used lens for it, a much better lens than the one I had been using.  I still have it.  

Then I bought my first digital camera.  I thought it would be a toy, a novelty item.  A year or so after I bought it, I realized that I had not finished in the last roll of film in the Nikon.  My conversion to digital took me by surprise.  

I went through a progression of digital cameras, some compact, some not, some very-very good (I had one with a Leica lens, that was crushed in my bag one day.) What I missed was interchangeable lenses.  A few years ago I decided I really wanted a solid camera with interchangeable lenses, and hence the current collection. I have two Nikon D5500s, and 8 lenses. I also use a Samsung compact - pocket camera, and a Nikon underwater digital.  A bit much for a stingy bastard.  

Everyman needs a hobby.**  

* A line from the musical South Pacific, one of the native's chases one of the sailors around the stage shouting that line at him. 

** I bumped into a professor I knew driving a 1950's Cadillac one day, and the next week he was driving a Packard. I asked about the cars and he said, "every man needs a hobby, I have barn full of old luxury cars."

16 comments:

  1. My first camera was a Kodak Bakelite, which must have been used when it was given to me. My second was a Kodak Instamatic; at the same time I had a Polaroid Land Camera that I paid for myself. I then inherited my father’s Kodak Retina which he got in Germany in the 40s. I was told that was a valuable collector's item. I couldn't even give it away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Retina likely still works, I have had a couple of those given to me over the years, when we consolidated houses I gave away a large box full of old cameras.

      Delete
  2. Your Instamatic camera was my mother's favourite. She captured so much with her camera but the photo quality was so low. Nevertheless, some made an appearance at her funeral. What will historians do with our thousands of digital photos?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was hesitant to get a digital camera but I found that it made taking pictures of moving kids much easier. The fact that you can instantly delete any photo that you don't like for whatever reason is a convenient feature. I still have a box of old cameras somewhere. I started taking pics on my mom's Brownie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have yet to buy a fancy professional expensive camera and many say I probably should as I like taking pictures. But I seem to like my pictures when I take them and then the ones I blog , so I'm not too worried. I have two so so digital cameras and more often than not I sometimes use my cell phone camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phones have become the camera of choice for most people.

      Delete
  5. I remember the Instamatic! Oy. And a Polaroid. I also had a couple of digital cameras, but now it seems it's just easier and quicker to carry the phone for photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had a couple of Polaroid cameras, the one I kept, they no longer make film for.

      Delete
  6. Lovely pic of the great and noble bird! 🐧

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try, no idea when or where I took that one.

      Delete
  7. I think my first camera was a Kodak Brownie. Gosh, that was a long time ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The film for the brownie box cameras was hard to find and more expensive than the 126 cartridges that everyone had. By the mid 1970's Kodak had stopped making film for most of the older designs (except 120-220 that you can still buy.)

      Delete
  8. That's a fascinating history. You've really owned a wide variety of cameras! I owned a Canon F1, but after a couple trips up and down the Baja Peninsula, the electronics started having problems. I wish now I would have kept it and had it repaired. I had lots of lenses for it and even an underwater housing. I sold it all for next to nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wished I had kept mine, prices on used film cameras really went up the last few years

      Delete