Thursday, August 03, 2023

Thursday Ramble: Pilgrimage and All 50


Pilgrimage is as old as civilization, and in a way that is what I was on.  A journey seeking something,  to see and experience things outside my norm. Many pilgrimages are religious,  but not all. Some like mine are deeply personal,  going to places seeking meaning that may be unique to me. This journey started 60 years ago, a family trip across much of the country from Michigan to Arizona, the only time I have ever been in Oklahoma.  

This trip will took me to Wyoming and Idaho, why those two? Because they were the last two states I had not been to. When I crossed into Idaho sometime on Monday afternoon,  I had sat foot in all of the United States of America. 

A lot of people have done this,  but surprisingly a small portion of the population.  

By my count I have been to 46 either for work, or,  like these two on trips added onto business travel. The exceptions are Oklahoma, Nebraska,  Mississippi, and Wisconsin.  I  have tried to get to Oklahoma for work,  Covid turned that into a virtual conference.  Nebraska I was in on a trip as a teenager,  and I am speaking at a conference there later this year. Wisconsin I did as a day trip by train from Chicago,  when I was in Chicago for a conference my husband was speaking at, Amtrak up lunch and a museum,  and Amtrak back the same day.  Mississippi, I have been there, and for work I would go back, but somehow I have escaped that. 

Why do this, because I can, because few do, to finish something. To better understand the country.  It is surprising how different the United States are. The vastness of the landscape,  the differences in economy,  culture and yes politics. I worry that my understanding of the country is from inside the beltway, a Washington DC view.  By seeking to see it all I hope to better understand it all. 

And bragging rights, I HAVE BEEN TO ALL 50 STATES.  

15 comments:

  1. Take the bow for your accomplishment. It is hard to unite really large countries, like yours and mine but then it is hard to unite even the UK. It was interesting to note that it was said that #45 would not get a fair trial in Washington because you Washingtonians are all rabid lefties, and so it should be held elsewhere. Florida? Arkansas? The implication is that jurors from Washington would not judge fairly, whereas I think the jurors would judge very objectively and fairly on the evidence presented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we can give him a fair trial,

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Not that I would ever brag, much, often,

      Delete
  3. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    (Yes, 50 exclamation points)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's quite a feat -- you're entitled to brag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am missing a few Provinces in Canada.

      Delete
  5. That is well worth bragging about. You've got me beat. I've been to 48. Alaska and Hawaii have eluded me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had work trips to the two hard one's to get to.

      Delete
  6. Well done Mr Penguin! This is a great achievement and you have every right to feel proud about ticking off Wyoming and Idaho. In spite of Trumpism, you are lucky to live in such a wonderful, varied country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised at how few of his signs I saw in the drive

      Delete
  7. All 50 states. That something.
    Coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And your state, finished the list

      Delete