Saturday, August 19, 2023

The Saturday Morning Post: Little Airplanes

My father was born the year Lindbergh flew the Atlantic, and he grew up fascinated by flying.  He was a teenager during World War II and begged his mother to consent for him to enlist so he could learn to fly.  She was terrified by the idea, he was drafted near the end of the war, after flight training had ended.  A few years later, he quit smoking and used what he saved to learn to fly. 

Hence I grew up spending weekends hanging around little airports and little airplanes. There were two highlights of our early 70's winter trip to Florida, a first visit to Walt Disney World that had been open just a few months, and a tour of the Piper aircraft factory at Vero Beach. It was amazing watching airplanes being built on an assembly line.  Sadly no photos were allowed inside.  

My father's first plane ride, was in a Ford Tri-motor.  His school class was on a outing, and the local airport was offering plane rides.  He spent a month's spending money for 15 minutes in the air. When he told his mother about it, she cried.  

In the archive I have a momento from his first airline flight.  An American Airlines DC-3 from New York to Detroit, late in World War II.  The flight crew filled out a short description of the flight, that was read by the cabin crew, and passed around.  In his army uniform, he was given it to take home.  I found it among his mementos after he died.  

I miss flying in little airplanes.  There is something elemental about a simple machine gaining speed, and lifting off the ground. It is magic, it is alchemy.  

 

12 comments:

  1. I'd like the be a passenger in a small plane (the smallest plane I've ever been in was 12 seats). But I'm happy leaving the flying to someone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A two seater is even more fun,

      Delete
  2. Small planes are the lifeblood of the Canadian north.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Alaska has a ton of small planes.

      Delete
  3. I have never flown in a small plane, but as I realize that getting older has made me feel somewhat claustrophobic in small places, perhaps I should stick to larger planes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should write about my J-3 cub experience.

      Delete
  4. My dad had a similar fascination although he never flew a small plane. He would watch them take off and mutter to himself, about it being impossible in his mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two of my grandparents never flew. My father's mother didn't fly until she was in her late 60's early 70s.

      Delete
  5. Yes it is alchemy. It is magic but I can never get my head around big planes rising into the air loaded with people and luggage and zipping across oceans or continents. We seem to take this for granted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still don't understand lift.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. The Beechcraft Bonanza was known as the V-tailed doctor killer when I was a teenager. Doctors loved them, into the trees and mountain sides.

      Delete